Which drives are the most reliable Western Digital or Seagate ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mark Hobley, Feb 14, 2005.

  1. Mark Hobley

    Mark Hobley Guest

    I have found that a large number of Maxtor drives are failing within 2 years
    of purchase, and I am several computers down as a result of this.

    http://markhobley.yi.org/linux/laboratory/hardrives/index.html

    I have decided to use drives from a different manufacturer.

    Which drives are the most reliable ? Western Digital or Seagate.

    My drives are all IDE, and are in removable drive caddies.

    The Maxtor drives run extremely hot and I suspect that this may be a
    cause of the drives failing.

    I am looking for replacement drives with capacities of 120Gb or more and
    drives of 200Gb plus for my server machines.

    I do not require fast access times and I would much prefer a reliable drive
    that does not overheat to a fast access drive.

    I notice that Seagate are offering 5 year warranties on some products, but
    this does not appear to be reflected on the reseller websites here in the UK.

    There appear to be fewer reports of Western Digital drives failing than those
    of Seagate.

    Is that because there are fewer Western Digital drives in the field ?

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    Email: markhobley at hotpop dot do_not_type_this_bit com

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

    Mark Hobley, Feb 14, 2005

  2. Mark Hobley

    DaveW Guest

    Western Digital, in my experience, makes conservatively rated, excellent
    parts quality harddrives. I prefer them over Seagates, which I have also
    used.

    DaveW, Feb 15, 2005

  3. Mark Hobley

    jc Guest

    I believe Western Digital is more reliable. However the Seagate have a 5
    year warrnty versus a 3 year over Western Digital. I guess the idea behind
    that is they want you to buy Seagate drives and by the time 5 years rolls
    around you would have upgraded to a new computer.
    Just my opinion.

    jc, Feb 20, 2005