    Hi, I'm shopping for a good looking and reliable
    external 2.5'' caddy. I'll be obliged if anyone could
    recommend one . THANKS !

    McGonigle, Apr 6, 2010

  2. McGonigle

    Al Dykes Guest

    Reliability is good, but you have to plan for the fact that the *best*
    disk can die the day after you buy it and you must plan your computer
    procedures accordingly.

    I don't know what an "external caddy" is. I've just bought a Seagate
    FreeAgent USB disk (500MB).

    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/freeagent/

    There are several manufactures and I expect that they are all about
    the same. It's powered of the USB jack. It doesn't need a wall wart.

    Al Dykes, Apr 6, 2010

  3. They are all pretty much the same except for differences you can clearly
    see. The USB to {drive} conversion is just a single chip, and while
    there are different ones, you won't know which one any given product has
    and for the most part it doesn't matter.

    Barry Watzman, Apr 6, 2010
  4. McGonigle

    McGonigle Guest

    Thanks ! As they almost the same I'll go for a reasonably priced one.

    McGonigle, Apr 8, 2010
  5. That would be about FIVE DOLLARS (US). Total, INCLUDING shipping. For
    an external USB 2.5" hard drive caddy (not including the drive itself).

    Barry Watzman, Apr 8, 2010
  6. McGonigle

    mike Guest

    I have several USB-ide/sata converters. For me, the chip does matter.
    Most won't read the SMART data from the drive. There doesn't seem to be any
    way to know until the boat from china actually delivers the unit.

    mike, Apr 8, 2010
  7. Regarding the matter of whose chip is used in IDE-to-{SATA or IDE} adapters:

    Yes, there are subtle differences in some of the chips. But, first:

    1. The differences are usually VERY subtle and of no concern to MOST users.

    2. Regardless, in general, exactly as you pointed out, you have no way
    of either controlling or even knowing which chip is in ANY given adapter
    until you have the adapter physically in your hands and can open it and
    look (and, in some cases, even then because the chip markings are
    sometimes removed).

    So the matter becomes academic for most users in most situations.

    Barry Watzman, Apr 9, 2010