    http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Radeon-X1.../B000IXZ3QU/ref=de_a_smtd/105-5960629-7555607

    Any help would be great, I need to pick one!
    Thanks

    Mike B, Aug 15, 2007

  2. The ATI has more memory, higher memory speed and
    higher core clock speed so regarding to pure performance,
    the ATI will produce much better framerates.

    More memory can be useful for high-res textures in games.
    It doesn't neccesarely improve performance though.

    One question remains, do you want hdmi/dhcp?
    If not, again, the ATI seems to be the better choice.
    (although I wonder if the ATI doesn't support it?)

    You say you are using a monitor with DVI so hdmi is not
    important. Even if you want to hook your pc to a hdmi
    television set, this is still possible using a 15 dollar dvi to
    hdmi cable.

    I'm not sure about hdcp.
    It's not needed for games, that's for sure.
    As far as I know, you only need it if you want to play
    hdcp protected like protected HD dvd's (blu-ray or
    hd-dvd).

    regards,
    Marcel

    Marcel Overweel, Aug 15, 2007

  3. Mike B

    First of One Guest

    Food for thought:

    1. The Visiontek card is incapable of dual-link DVI, as a tradeoff for
    driving the DVI signal through the HDMI port. This leaves the card unable to
    drive those Dell or Samsung 30" LCDs at 2560x1600. It also means you cannot
    actually drive an LCD monitor and a big-screen TV through HDMI at the same
    time.

    2. HDCP is needed to decode Blu-Ray or HD-DVD movies on your PC. However,
    everything in the display chain (including your monitor) has to be
    HDCP-compliant for this to work.

    3. Note that Amazon doesn't sell these cards. Rather, it is a front for
    vendors like Tigerdirect. So unless you find a significant difference in
    shipping costs, buy from the vendors directly. It's one fewer middleman to
    deal with, if you later need to do a refund or exchange.

    First of One, Aug 15, 2007