    to the standard copper or aluminum heat sink/fans that I have been using for
    years. and what brand and model would recommend for either technology.
    Please give me you opinions on this matter.

    Guest, May 26, 2005

  2. Guest

    Mark A Guest

    Thermalright XP-120 is very good. Check their website for mb compatibility.
    XP-90 also works well and has better compatibility.
    http://www.bestbyteinc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HSK-TRI-XP12

    For some reason, Newegg ahs terrible prices on the Thermalright, so buy
    elsewhere.

    Mark A, May 26, 2005

  3. Travis Jordan, May 26, 2005
  4. Guest

    Mark A Guest

    Mark A, May 26, 2005
  5. Travis Jordan, May 26, 2005
  6. I'd suggest not considering costly cooling solutions for a CPU well known
    not to challenge conventional solutions. A Winchester CPU simply does not
    require a high tech/high cost HSF. My 3200+ (using the retail aluminum HSF),
    running at 2.5 GHz, is at 33C with a case temp of 24C and room temp = 21C.
    Highest recorded temp under stress testing was 45C. I don't have a
    recommendation for an inexpensive 3rd party HSF, but if Wes Newell sees this
    thread, he may well have some good suggestions.

    Peter van der Goes, May 26, 2005
  7. Guest

    Mark A Guest

    That depends on how quiet you want your PC to be. If you want a very quiet
    PC, then you need a HS that can run cool with a fan running about 1000 RPM
    (preferably 120mm). This can be accomplished by buying a Nexus 120mm fan and
    running it at 12V or another low speed fan and lowering voltage until it
    spins about 1000 RPM.

    Mark A, May 26, 2005
  8. I very recently purchased an XP-90 for use on a socket-754 mobo. Bad,
    bad news!

    The XP-90 (and 120) are P4 HSFs. They hook onto the 4 hooks provided
    by the P4 "retainer" bracket. So Thermalright ships a replacement
    bracket for AMD use, which replaces the AMD bracket with a P4 variant
    that screws into the two holes provided for mounting the AMD bracket.
    The two brackets fit the same space. No problems so far, right?

    But I screwed the P4 replacement onto a Biostar K8VGAM mobo. And,
    very nicely blocking one of the 4ea P4 mounting holes is a big
    capacitor! Although there's plenty of room even in a mini-tower case
    and on a uATX mobo for the XP-90, this capacitor put a permanent end
    to my attempt to mount my new XP-90 to this board.

    I also have an Asus K8S-MX uATX socket-754 board, which is running my
    main computer now. A preliminary look-see suggests that the XP-90
    will fit on this board. But as I've discovered, don't count on
    problems not jumping up and biting you in a sensitive location when
    doing this AMD - P4 mixology.

    Finally, I want to agree with the person who suggested to you that
    90nm AMD parts don't need major cooling. If you want to spend $20 and
    you like Newegg, buy the TR2-M6 by Thermaltake. It's $6.99, quiet,
    and will keep your new AMD chip running fine if the noise of the
    standard AMD HSF bothers you. Send the rest of the money to me so you
    can say you spent $20. ;-) ;-)

    [I bought the XP-90 because I thought I'd better get some experience
    with heat-pipes. That's after I read an article stating that a new
    dual-core chip dissipated 199 watts!]

    Felger Carbon, May 26, 2005
  9. Guest

    Mark A Guest

    There are two versions of the XP-120/90, one for the P4 and one for AMD. You
    obviously bought the one for P4. Mine came with 939 MB retainer ring
    included. Some more recent models may have both retainers included. This is
    not any different than other HS's.

    The Thermalright website has detailed information about compatibility of
    MB's with the XP series HS's. If your MB is not listed, then you should ask
    around before purchasing.

    Mark A, May 26, 2005
  10. Guest

    Roy Guest

    I love my Thermaltake CL-P0025. It has a solid copper base with 6 copper
    heatpipes with aluminum fins. It keeps my cpu very cool

    under 30c idle and 36 load.

    Roy, May 27, 2005
  11. Guest

    Gripper Guest

    My 2p worth: I tried all sorts of coolers for my P4 Prescott 3.2 slightly
    o/c to 3.6:
    The heat pipe cooler I tried was the Coolermaster Hyper6- a Kg of copper.
    I ended up sending it back as it performed worse than the stock Intel
    hs/fan.
    Ended up using a Thermaltake Volcano with the fan speed controlled by the
    mobo/heat sensor.
    It is noisier than I'd like but without getting into water cooling, it'll
    have to do.
    hth
    Neil

    Gripper, May 27, 2005
  12. Something wasn't quite right then because the Hyper6 is capable of better
    cooling than that.

    David Maynard, May 27, 2005
  13. Guest

    sbb78247 Guest

    XP-120 with the Recomended Panaflow fan. Excellent combination - this keeps
    a well O/C Celeron D out of the stratosphere temp wise. 100% CPU load doing
    folding at home 38-39C. And was stated - they do come with both brackets
    for the AMD and the Intel.

    sbb78247, May 27, 2005
  14. Guest

    Forum User Guest

    From all I read and as someone who runs a TR SLK800 and an SLK900, I get the
    impression that pipes don't make much difference.
    What you're comparing ultimately, is the difference in transfer efficiency
    between pipe-to-fin and base/fin-to-fin.
    I can only imagine that's gunna be anything appreciable for VERY large
    heatsinks (I mean MUCH larger than your typical 92mm sink).
    An upgrade wouldn't be worth it - but for a new unit where the cost
    differential is inconsequential, you may as well go for the pipe option.

    Forum User, May 27, 2005
  15. Guest

    sbb78247 Guest

    the xp 120/90 kind of work like a condenser in a refrigeration or a/c
    system. The base plate "boils" the coolant in and it transfers the heat to
    the fins (condenser) where it is cooled and returns to a "liquid" state. if
    you had a compressor, then it would really be an active cooling system!

    sbb78247, May 27, 2005
  16. Guest

    Mxsmanic Guest

    All heat pipes work in essentially this way. They usually have to be
    custom-designed and optimized for a specific environment, but once this
    is done they can move a staggering amount of heat, compared to more
    passive methods.

    Mxsmanic, May 27, 2005
  17. Guest

    TonyC Guest

    Using Akasa AK913 Evo33 on my 3200+ Venice (@2.7Ghz), idles about 30c, max
    38c under stress testing (Prime95 etc). I'm well chuffed with it. Looks
    cool too.

    Tony.

    TonyC, May 27, 2005
  18. Guest

    sbb78247 Guest

    The xp120 got some of the "mad scientists" in our shop thinking about a more
    economical way to cool with refrigeration than what is currently out there.

    sbb78247, May 27, 2005
  19. Guest

    Le Rosbif Guest

    Whilst avoiding condensing water from the atmosphere.......

    Le Rosbif, May 29, 2005
  20. Guest

    Forum User Guest

    Heatpipes use (refrigerant) convection, not refrigeration (which has a
    compression phase in the cycle).

    Forum User, May 30, 2005