    processor. This is "refrigeration", as much as a gas "fired" refrigerator
    is a "refrigerator". ...actually more so, because the refrigerator isn't
    using "waste" heat.

    keith, May 31, 2005

  2. There's no such thing as it violates the laws of thermodynamics.
    You missed the key point, the compression-expansion cycle.
    No.

    A 'refrigeration' device drives the temperature below anything around it,
    including the dissipation medium, and, so, requires power input to do the
    work of pumping heat contrary to the natural flow.

    A gas fired refrigerator accomplishes that by using the gas heat to drive
    the compression cycle and without that it would be no more than a 'heat
    pipe' (assuming it was modified to function well as a heat pipe) unable to
    cool below ambient.

    Which is why you'll never see any 'heat pipe refrigerators' nor any 'heat
    pipe beer coolers'. You could accomplish the same results by simply leaving
    things out of the box because ambient is the best you could get inside the
    box with a 'heat pipe cooler'.

    David Maynard, May 31, 2005

  3. Guest

    Forum User Guest

    You need to look up 'refrigeration'.
    Refrigerators are heat-pumps, able to transfer heat AGAINST thermal
    gradients - allowing sub-ambient cooling.
    The key phase is compression.
    No compression, no refrigeration.
    You could fill a heatpipe with anything - and it's still just a
    coolant-convection device.
    Filling it with a 'refrigerant' won't make it a refrigerator.

    The process is simply "pumped" by the spare heat of the

    Forum User, May 31, 2005
  4. Well, not with gas/liquids as the working medium anyway, which is probably
    what you meant. But peltier devices operate on a completely different
    principle with no compression cycle involved.

    David Maynard, May 31, 2005
  5. Guest

    Forum User Guest

    Peltiers are not refrigerators because there's no refrigerant to be
    phase-changed.
    Not quite sure why you raised the subject of Peltiers.

    Forum User, May 31, 2005
  6. Guest

    Mxsmanic Guest

    A refrigerator is anything that refrigerates, with or without
    refrigerant. Thus, Peltier devices are refrigerators, even though they
    contain no conventional refrigerant (although I suppose one could
    consider electrons to be the refrigerant).

    Mxsmanic, May 31, 2005
  7. Guest

    Mxsmanic Guest

    By whom? I've usually heard them called refrigerators.

    Mxsmanic, May 31, 2005
  8. Guest

    Forum User Guest

    So you use a Peltier to refrigerate your beer, do you ?
    The whole point was that HEATPIPES aren't refrigerators.
    So why are Pelts being discussed ?

    Forum User, May 31, 2005
  9. Guest

    Forum User Guest

    Funny, but I can't remember the last time I heard someone say "I'm just
    gunna get a beer out of the Peltier".
    Strange that.

    Forum User, May 31, 2005
  10. You have the refrigerator and refrigerant dependencies reversed.
    Refrigerant is dependent on refrigeration as it is the functional name of
    the active medium used for that purpose but refrigerator is not dependent
    on refrigerant. As you so aptly put it "Refrigerators are heat-pumps, able
    to transfer heat AGAINST thermal gradients - allowing sub-ambient cooling."

    And that perfectly describes peltiers.

    For completeness since you also said "No compression, no refrigeration."

    David Maynard, May 31, 2005
  11. Maybe because you just don't happen to know anyone who owns this peltier
    based refrigerator, or one like it.

    http://www.beveragefactory.com/refrigerators/compact/ec15w.shtml

    David Maynard, May 31, 2005
  12. Guest

    Ashp Guest

    Hmmm thats odd - my beer cooler is a peltier refrigerator. Yes its
    pretty crap, but it doesn't use any refridgant.

    Ash.

    Ashp, May 31, 2005
  13. Guest

    Forum User Guest

    Maybe that's why. ;)

    but it doesn't use any refridgant.

    Forum User, May 31, 2005
  14. Guest

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Trucks generally have multiple wheels and a driver and a trailer and
    cab, and yet railroad freight cars rest on top of them.

    Mxsmanic, May 31, 2005
  15. Guest

    Mxsmanic Guest

    I don't have any beer.