Which is better nvidia geforce 6600 GT or Nvidia geforce 7300

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Zhongwei, Mar 5, 2007.

  1. Zhongwei

    Zhongwei Guest

    I recently had problems with my 6600 GT. Still under warranty the
    supplier replaced it with the 7300. Since then I have had constant
    difficulties and hardware conflicts. my system:

    AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+, 2.2 Gigahertz with 1 GB of Ram. Windows
    XP service pack2.

    Is there any known problems with compatibility regarding my system and
    the Nvidia geforce 7300 GT??

    Example of problems:

    Despite loading loads of codecs I cant run a single video file that
    used to work fine when I had the 6600 GT (prior to its unknown fault
    of course)

    If anyone could be of assistance it would be greatly appreciated.

    I would also like to know which is the better card and why (in
    laymen's terms preferably), I have a suspicion my pc company is taking
    advantage of my ignorance.

    Thank you very much for your time reading this.

    Zhongwei, Mar 5, 2007

  2. Zhongwei

    Slap Guest

    Specs on the 7300 are here...
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_7300.html

    on the 6600 here...
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_6600.html
    scroll down a bit

    A quick compare and it looks like the 6600 wins. I'd print the sheets and
    run them by your supplier. I'm not too knowledgeable on this stuff.

    Slap, Mar 5, 2007

  3. Zhongwei

    DRS Guest

    The 7300GT is distinctly inferior to the 6600GT. It's a budget card and
    almost completely useless for any even moderately demanding 3D application
    (especially games). At the very least the 6600GT should have been replaced
    with a 7600GS.

    DRS, Mar 5, 2007

  4. Most 7300GT cards use DDR2 memory instead of DDR3 that the
    6600GT uses. This alone would make the 6600GT the better. There is a
    Leadtek Extreme 7300GT that has DDR3 memory, and has a faster core, &
    memory clock than the 6600GT. Unless you had a Leadtek card, and they
    sent you the Extreme 7300GT, then you got the short end of the stick.
    They problably didn't even give you the 128bit memory bus 7300GT, but
    instead gave you one of the Ultra-crappy 64bit memory bus versions
    instead.... That's how companies honor their warrenties.
    The 6600GT, and 7300GT are totaly different cards, and cannot
    just be swapped out. You'd have to uninstall the Nvidia drivers you
    installed with the 6600GT. Then I'd use a program like Driver Cleaner
    PE to remove all file, and registry instances that might have been
    left behind by the uninstaller. Then install the latest Nvidia
    drivers.

    Larry Roberts, Mar 5, 2007
  5. Zhongwei

    Zhongwei Guest

    Thanks to all! The information provided will be of much use. It
    appears I have a battle on my hands.

    Zhongwei, Mar 5, 2007
  6. Zhongwei

    Jethro Guest

    That wouldn't happen to be a BFG 6600GT OC would it? I've had to send
    mine back and have had friends also use the BFG return policy.

    A quick check of comparisons shows that those 2 cards are fairly close
    in speed.
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&model1=540&model2=532&chart=225

    Jethro, Mar 5, 2007
  7. Zhongwei