    So, is it all down to fan size or could it be (as I'm starting to think)
    that the V7 wasn't mounted correctly on the cpu. I'm going to try
    switching back to the V7 and check everything again.

    Steve, Sep 23, 2003

  2. Steve

    O |V| 3 G A Guest

    more todo with fan size after market gfx/northbridge fans are around 40-60mm
    and get around 13cfm, with about 3000rpm (the fan i saw a while ago)

    whereas my 120mm papst pushes something around 100cfm at 2500rpm i`m on the
    understanding of.

    tim

    O |V| 3 G A, Sep 23, 2003

  3. Steve

    Flow Guest

    It all depends,my 70cm fan cools perfectly at 3000rpm.
    I had a 80mm fan from ThermalTake and while on fullspeed at 5400rpm cooled
    better,with 3000rpm actually cooled a bit less.
    The copper heatsink bottom i used with the 80mm fan is not so smooth as the
    aluminium one i used for the 70mm from coolermaster and therefor i conclude
    the better the contact between cpu die and hsf the better cooling you get
    with lower rpm and less noise.

    Flow, Sep 23, 2003
  4. Steve

    rstlne Guest

    OK, I've just switched from a volcano 7+ (which was giving me cpu temp
    It's all down to CFM (airflow) rated for the fan
    some 80mm fans push less than 60mm fans @ 12v
    You just need to do research on the fans....

    rstlne, Sep 23, 2003
  5. Steve

    BigBadger Guest

    It's probably got less to do with the fan and more to do with the design of
    the heatsink itself. Too much emphasis is often put on the material the HS
    is made from (Copper vs Aluminium) more important is the surface area of the
    fins....could the new HS have more fin area????

    BigBadger, Sep 24, 2003
  6. Steve

    Steve Guest

    OK, but the 80 going half the speed (2700) but keeping the cpu some what
    cooler than the 60 (@4600)...
    The 80 is a third the price of the V7+, but is almost silent compared
    with the V7+, which has to be the NOSIEST fan in the world.
    I can't see how the V7 has got such good write up's when the Q tec can
    out perform it so completely....

    Steve, Sep 24, 2003
  7. Steve

    Steve Guest

    OK, switched back to the V7 and the system idles at 42/43. With the
    cheap and nasty hsf it idles at 38 and under load it's back up to the
    mid 50's. And I've turned the system back to a 2500+

    So, am I doing something wrong or is the V7+ just an overpriced piece of
    junk ?

    Steve, Sep 24, 2003
  8. Steve

    Matt Guest

    Which model - is that Qtec's "Noiseless"?
    http://www.qtec.info/products/pgroup.htm?mpg=COOLERS

    Their watercooling kit looks pretty neat too! The radiator in a drive
    bay probably isn't the best for maximum cooling though.

    Matt, Sep 26, 2003
  9. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Yeah, that's the one, surprisingly effective for the money. I'm going
    to try to give the 2 overclocking models a try next just to see if their
    any good.

    Steve, Sep 27, 2003