    Is the 9600 Pro a worthy upgrade for my gaming needs ??

    Any help will be appreciated.

    Steve

    Steve Pearson, Nov 24, 2003

  2. Steve Pearson

    Dark Avenger Guest

    9700 = 8 pixelpipelines
    9600 = 4 pixelpipelines

    So generally the 9600 must be higher clocked to reach the same leve of
    "performance", happily they also get higher clocked..but only the
    9600XT is to win from the 9500 Pro... the 9700 Pro is yet unbeaten on
    that point, the 9800 NP though is faster as the 9700 Pro

    :)

    So if you can buy a 9800 Non Pro, you are fine!

    Dark Avenger, Nov 24, 2003

  3. Steve Pearson

    J.Clarke Guest

    Given a choice between a 9600 and a 9700 go with the 9700. The reason
    you can't find 9700s is that they were discontinued in favor of the
    9800--the performance is about the same, the major difference is the
    greater pixel-shader depth possible on the 9800. At the same time as
    the 9700s were discontinued the 9500s were discontinued in favor of the
    9600s. If you can find a 9700 at a good price, grab it.

    J.Clarke, Nov 25, 2003
  4. Steve Pearson

    Ben Pope Guest

    The 9700 will considerably faster in some tasks as it has twice the number
    of pipelines. It's discontinued and I'd be very surprised if you can find
    some.
    Dunno... whats your gaming needs?

    The 9600 provided the best price/performance by a LONG way a month or so ago
    using HL2 as a benchmark. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Nov 25, 2003