    quality in terms of display. Chances are I am "stuck" with my machine
    for ever ... whatever that means when you are 68 as I!

    Shaun, if you ever sell your machine, let me know!

    John Doue, Apr 16, 2010

  2. Ganesh J. Acharya

    Roy Guest

    Might be the best for an IBM Lenovo lover.....grin....

    Roy, Apr 16, 2010

  3. Ganesh J. Acharya

    Ganesh Guest

    Is any company making standard sized Laptop components which allow low
    priced upgrades? E.g. Keeping the size of the mother board and basic
    inputs constant can help replace with newer versions.

    Ganesh, Apr 16, 2010
  4. Ganesh J. Acharya

    ~misfit~ Guest

    If that day comes it'll be snowing in hell and pigs will be flying. However
    I'll be sure to let you know. <g>

    I still have my R51 with a SXGA+ FlexView as a back-up machine (or maybe a
    display-donor if anything happens to my T60 display, research on
    forums.thinkpad suggest that the R51 display will work in the T60).

    Hehee! A while back I managed to snag an 18 month-old 20" Dell 'Ultrasharp'
    4:3 desktop monitor, one of the IPS ones, UXGA in excellent condition, for
    NZ$180. I remember when they were released at around NZ$1K, reading reviews
    of them, and the ensuing 'Dell lottery' when Dell started selling some with
    S-PVA panels. (The only way to tell for sure what panel you have fitted is
    from the serial number.)

    Imagine my surprise on researching the Dell to discover that it's still sold
    here at $750 new, but there's talk that they even fit TN panels to some of
    them now. Although I rarely use my 'heavy iron' it's a real treat to look at
    this awesome monitor in action.

    IPS rules! Anything less is a poor compromise.

    ~misfit~, Apr 18, 2010
  5. Ganesh J. Acharya

    ~misfit~ Guest

    To a certain extent, yes, amongst their own range. I read forums.thinkpad a
    lot and there are several accounts of 'FrankenPads" where people have put
    different planars (motherboards) into machines from different model ranges.
    I know a guy who made a FrankenPad actually, he wanted a combo of features
    that wasn't available from IBM / Lenovo so fitted a planar from a different
    model to his machine.

    I've built up two ThinkPads myself from parts bought on NZ's version of ebay
    (Trademe.co.nz), starting with simply a 'base', which contains a planar.
    People buy bases as donors for laptops that are BIOS locked. It's next to
    impossible to defeat a ThinkPad's password lock feature (unlike a recent
    Toshiba that I unlocked the other day which just needed a 'jumper' shorted
    on power-up) so there are people who sell 'bases' for different models. I
    had spares for my R40 and also for my R51 so I ended up buying a base for
    each, then using some of my spares plus buying parts and built up working
    machines.

    ~misfit~, Apr 18, 2010
  6. Ganesh J. Acharya

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Well, if you're talking the best laptop and you're not an Apple-head then
    you'd be wise to become an IBM / Lenovo lover.

    Unless, as I said, you want to play high-end games, in which case get a
    console.

    ~misfit~, Apr 18, 2010
  7. Ganesh J. Acharya

    Ganesh Guest

    which is best laptop to play highend graphic games

    Ganesh, Apr 18, 2010
  8. Ganesh J. Acharya

    Roy Guest

    Unless LenovO will DRASTICALLY improve their appearance, they will
    never get appreciation.. AS INDEED THEY ARE FUCKINGLY UGLY.....!

    Roy, Apr 18, 2010
  9. Ganesh J. Acharya

    Roy Guest

    Ganesh I think you should read more about laptops as there are many
    choices to make depending on your budget and manufacturers
    preference....

    Roy, Apr 18, 2010
  10. Ganesh J. Acharya

    Roy Guest

    Correction....

    What I mean is they will never get my appreciation..nor preference....

    Roy, Apr 18, 2010
  11. Ganesh J. Acharya

    Ganesh Guest

    i do not understand what is required to run games better. could anyone
    explain what to look for.

    Roy:

    Ganesh, Apr 18, 2010
  12. Ganesh J. Acharya

    Roy Guest

    There are many factors that can make a pc run games better, sufficient
    CPU processing power, dedicated graphics, sufficient RAM, etc..if that
    is the case you have to study more about PC hardware...

    Roy, Apr 18, 2010
  13. Ganesh J. Acharya

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Yeah, it's good. Any burglar in a hurry is going to grab the bling bling
    crap HP, Dell, Sony, Toshiba or Compaq and leave the serious hardware alone.

    The ThinkPad is like the Model T Ford, you can have any colour you want as
    long as it's black.

    ~misfit~, Apr 18, 2010
  14. Ganesh J. Acharya

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Alienware.

    http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/note...efid=laptop-alienware-m17x&s=dhs&cs=19&~ck=mn

    ~misfit~, Apr 18, 2010
  15. Ganesh J. Acharya

    Roy Guest

    Dunno shaun....just lately an sales agent tried convince me to buy
    the workstation W700ds with double screen....If that item was made my
    Sony or Apple it could have been irresistible that I will get it
    immediately...

    Roy, Apr 18, 2010
  16. Ganesh J. Acharya

    BillW50 Guest

    In ~misfit~ typed on Sun, 18 Apr 2010 22:49:27 +1200:
    You really believe Thinkpads are better than other laptop manufactures?
    As I have never found evidence to support this claim. Even Consumer
    Reports which is supposed to be unbiased, never gave Thinkpads high
    marks for being any different than average.

    And I have followed IBM for decades and IBM always fails when they are
    forced to compete. Which I blame on poor business practices and making
    too many promises to customers that they know they can't keep. As IBM is
    a tiny shell of once it was been. As IBM was once the computer company
    that customers could trust their products were the best. Although they
    chipped away all of that trust over decades of abuse and now they are
    almost a nobody today. Pretty sad seeing a once great company run itself
    down to the ground like that.

    BillW50, Apr 18, 2010
  17. Ganesh J. Acharya

    Roy Guest

    That is why an IBM Lenovo loyalist can be compared to a an adage , '
    that having a face only a mother could love ....'

    Roy, Apr 18, 2010
  18. Ganesh J. Acharya

    BillW50 Guest

    lol You are bad! ;-)

    BillW50, Apr 18, 2010
  19. Ganesh J. Acharya

    Ganesh Guest

    That Laptop (Mobile Desktop) is wonderful.

    Pros: Everything that's near to my dream laptop
    Cons: 5.5 Kgs, 17"

    Ganesh, Apr 18, 2010
  20. Ganesh J. Acharya

    Roy Guest

    Sorry Bill , not meant to say that Lenovo lovers are ugly......
    what I meant here really, is that all Lenovo Laptop PCs have an
    appearance 'only a mother could love'......grin..

    No matter how I look at it, I just can't stand using a machine that I
    can't stand its form factor.......
    As I mentioned in the past , getting notebook is like having mistress
    ( or possibly a wife...grin...) It will become part of your daily
    life,( its your constant company your tool for work , for leisure
    etc ) and if you can't stand how it look do you think you would be
    happy using it....?

    And the latest casualty was this workstation W700ds...as I was hunting
    for a workstation portable PC.

    ... Yes it has the power, and I am sure I can afford that beast, but
    deep seated issue that have bothered me with Lenovo units .
    i.e ...its appearance......
    If it was only been made by Sony, it would have been such a beauty as
    these people really know how to put such unit in really astounding
    form .....

    Roy

    Roy, Apr 18, 2010