    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5548&p=2
    http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/alienware-m11x?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

    Now they are lighter ,, am sure you can afford it now....<grin>..

    Roy, Apr 18, 2010

  2. Ganesh J. Acharya

    Ganesh Guest

    "Unlike the larger M17x, there’s no number pad, so you’ll have to use
    other keys to store all of your macros in games such as World of
    Warcraft."
    Does not seem that costly. Need to find if they are priced right, and
    that there's no one else competing this series.

    Ganesh, Apr 19, 2010

  3. Ganesh J. Acharya

    Roy Guest

    For that gaming ultraportable with that kind of performance and 1 gig
    dedicated graphics card...at the moment Alienware has no competitor...

    So if you are indeed serious in your quest then here is your chance
    to get one.....

    Roy, Apr 19, 2010
  4. Ganesh J. Acharya

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Roy typed on Sun, 18 Apr 2010 12:31:31 -0700 (PDT):
    Hi Roy! Oh okay, I gotcha. ;-)

    BillW50, Apr 19, 2010
  5. Ganesh J. Acharya

    Ganesh Guest

    Intel Core i5-430M Processor 2.26 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up
    to 2.53 GHz
    4GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM, 2 SODIMM Slots; 8GB Max
    500GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM); Super Multi Optical Disk Drive; Wi-Fi
    802.11 bgn
    15.6" Full HD 1920x1080 LED LCD Display; NVidia GTS 360M Graphics
    Engine with 1GB DDR5 dedicated VRAM

    http://realjunction.com/ASUS_G51JX-X3

    This one also seems better.

    Ganesh, Apr 20, 2010
  6. Ganesh J. Acharya

    Ganesh Guest

    It is a 15" and has a number pad as well.

    Ganesh, Apr 20, 2010
  7. Ganesh J. Acharya

    Roy Guest

    so are you already happy with that would be willing to put your money
    on it? Or you are just presenting new things just for the sake of
    pointless discussion.........?

    Roy, Apr 20, 2010
  8. Ganesh J. Acharya

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Are you sure that a single GTS 360M beats (dual) SLI GTX 260M or (dual) ATI
    4870 X2 that are available on the Alienware M17?

    This chart has the SLI GTX 260M rated in second place and the GTS 360M in
    27th place.

    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

    It might be lighter but it's hardly a better gaming machine. The GTS 360M
    only gets 9819 3DMark06 points compared with 15019 for the SLI GTX 260M.

    That's:

    Big difference. If you're going to ask "which is best laptop to play highend
    graphic games" then ignore the replies at your peril.

    ~misfit~, Apr 21, 2010
  9. Ganesh J. Acharya

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Gah! I hit send too soon! I'll soon be looking like you, replying multiple
    times to myself, have to stop that.

    Anyway, the other point that I meant to make was that a higher number
    doesn't mean a better graphics chip. The GTS 360M only has a 128 bit memory
    bus whereas the GTX 280M is 256 bit.

    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTS-360M.24058.0.html
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-280M.14558.0.html

    In fact a single GTX 280M is faster than a single GTS 360M and the Alienware
    M17 can be configured with *two* GTX 280s in SLI.

    The Asus is a dog for gaming compared with the Alienware. Anyway, why am I
    doing your research for you? You asked a question, I gave an answer.

    ~misfit~, Apr 21, 2010
  10. Ganesh J. Acharya

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I use what I read as a guide but I judge for myself when I can. A lot of
    laptops go through my hands yet you will find that the only non-ThinkPad
    that I own is a machine that just plays my mp3s. That's a Compaq that I got
    cheaply (mainly as parts) and does a good job of sitting on a shelf playing
    my music into a stereo system and uses very little electricity doing so.

    For reliability and being easy to work on *IMO* ThinkPads are unbeatable.
    Then again, I'm not a kid who cares about bling.
    Actually IBM are doing pretty well for themselves 'today'. Since they split
    off their consumer computer business (which process started in 2004 and
    became Lenovo) and have gone back to their roots; Mainframe systems and
    software for mainframes, they're doing rather well.

    While they were trying to do both they did go downhill a bit, hence the
    split. Now we have two seperate companies doing one thing and both are doing
    well. (I'm not endorsing Lenovo's own products since the split was complete
    in 2008 although their arrangement with their previous parent company (IBM)
    means that anything bearing the 'ThinkPad' name [which still belongs to IBM]
    has to meet certain standards.)

    ~misfit~, Apr 21, 2010
  11. Ganesh J. Acharya

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I guess that paragraph shows the difference between us Roy. I care about
    what a computer does and how reliable it is. For me it's not a fashion
    accessory. (I'm handsome and charming, I don't need a bling laptop to
    attract a mate or impress my friends.) All I care about is if it does it's
    job reliably and is well-made. In fact it's my experience that if something
    is bling it's likely to get stolen by people who think bling is everything.

    Actually last night I picked up a T60 ThinkPad from a guy who deals in
    laptops. He is Chinese and he gets second-hand laptops and parts from Hong
    Kong, if they need repairing he does so, then he on-sells them to make a
    profit. He told me last night that he is only going to other with ThinkPads
    from now on. He's lost too much money on Sony gear as it's flimsy, hard to
    repair and there is no interchangability between different models. (He only
    mentioned Sony and ThinkPads, I've only ever got ThinkPad stuff from him, I
    don't know if he used to move any other brands.)

    He told me he has a couple of boxes full of Sony laptops that are too
    expensive to repair to be worth while, the only real source of parts is
    Sony, who charge a fortune for parts. However with ThinkPads they tend to
    have a lot of interchangability between models so parts are cheap and
    readilly available, he can buy 50 with faults and sell 45 of them by
    swapping parts or buying parts cheaply. That's not possible with Sony, he
    says that even with models that are very similar you can't swap parts and
    Sony would rather sell you a new laptop than a replacement part. However, I
    can see that impressing other people is of high importance to you. To me
    *my* satisfaction with the machine and knowing that I can get parts
    reasonably easilly and cheaply if I ever need them is far more important.

    Everybody has different expectations from their laptop. Therefore when I say
    that I think ThinkPads are the best laptops obviously it's my opinion.

    ~misfit~, Apr 21, 2010
  12. Ganesh J. Acharya

    Ganesh Guest

    I did not know about that. I am trying to update my technical
    information. I see what you mean, but a ordinary uninformed buyer
    would perceive things literally the way I am doing.

    Ganesh, Apr 21, 2010
  13. Ganesh J. Acharya

    Roy Guest

    I also care for my computer that it should be durable, as well as
    attractive to look at...
    Well to me my Sony had been reliable and had not failed me for many
    years...
    had three VAIO laptops and fortunately none of them had any hardware
    defect except for the DVD writer which was easily replaced in the
    Sony center) , had upgraded the hard drive and increased the RAM
    and the oldest one is already 7 years old and it still running
    well....
    So to me it’s reliable....

    I don't treat it as a fashion item, either as I don't upgrade my
    gadgets often....but only when I need to...or when I find some unit
    with features that I need and its not found in my existing notebooks.
    Shaun impressing other people is the least of my concern, as my
    laptops are my personal investments and I prefer a pretty unit than
    an ugly one.
    It just like having a girlfriend , at least she should be attractive
    as well to be worthwhile maintaining her

    you say you are handsome but do you tolerate having with you an ugly
    woman as your partner just because he is more devoted….?
    and more useful to you?...... or maybe its the opposite as a handsome
    guy is what you prefer.......?

    I , repairs is my least concern, and supposing one of this unit will
    conk out in time, well I can easily replace it with the latest
    model...no sweat...
    Why wouldI I perpetuate and obsolete hardware if its not working well,
    its indeed cheaper to replace it than to repair....?

    I agree a

    Roy

    Roy, Apr 21, 2010
  14. Ganesh J. Acharya

    ~misfit~ Guest

    No, I haven't seen him. Then again, there are people who can't get a brick
    to last five years. Admittedly my oldest ThinkPad is only 6 years as it's
    only been recently that I've left the (gaming) PC building lark. I used to
    build systems from friends and FOFs who upgraded often so my system was
    usually part cast-offs (which I usually took as (at least part) payment for
    assemling the new one. I usually had a new mobo / CPU though.
    I can't remember the models now but, back in the late 90s, a mate in the
    corporate hardware bussiness (his main business is refurbishing
    top-of-the-line servers supplied by companies who replace with the best
    often, and on-selling to less wealthy companies, then maintaining them)
    asked if I wanted to see if I could make a few bucks from some laptops. He'd
    bought about 12 various Tosh lappies as part of a job-lot at auction. He was
    only interested in the servers really but had already on-sold the laptops
    that worked.

    They were Pentium (1) laptops, I don't remember the models but all but about
    three were the same model. I got them at the price I got for selling two
    working so made a dollar or two. Back then there wasn't the 'private' access
    to dis/assembly instructions that are avaialble for some laptops these days
    so it was all a bit 'suck it and see' when it came to working out how to
    (non-destructively) disassemble and then re-assemble them.

    I think I did fairly well all-in-all. IIRC there were only two that I
    couldn't get going, that were part-used as donor machines. I remember then
    thinking that laptop repair was a highly-technical job, much patience was
    required (unless you were affiliated with a laptop manufacurer in which case
    you had access to all the documentation.) Unlike a few brands these days the
    documents on opening the things was jealously guarded and often you'd end up
    breaking off tabs etcetera on the first of any model you opened. It really
    paid to keep notes.

    However, as back then laptops cost roughly four times what a similar desktop
    cost I then didn't really touch another for a decade or so.

    Then a couple of years ago I decided that desktops were chewing through too
    much electricity (I usually have three of four machines running at once) so
    sought the advice of friends in the corporate IT business as to what brand
    would be best. Of the four people I asked the unanimous reply was ThinkPads,
    IBM and also the newer Lenovo versions. A couple of these guys bemoaned the
    fact that some of their employers had recently changed suppliers, to Dell
    and Toshiba respectively and that they missed the 'good old days'
    (relatively) when they had quality, long-lasting and easilly serviced
    machines (in the shape of ThinkPads) to look after.

    Therefore a couple of years ago I started replacing my desktops with
    laptops. As I'm on a very limited income but tech-savvy I bought
    second-hand, sometimes with faults, and rolled up my sleves. One thing about
    IBM/Lenovo and their ThinkPad range; They make their 'hardware maintainence
    manuals' available to anyone and they are very easy to follow. It's also
    still possiblt ot get these manuals for very old machines. I did buy some
    non-ThinkPads and, in general had significantly more difficulty with them.

    See ThinkPads were originally conceived for the corporate environment and,
    as such, were designed to not only be robust but as most were bought with
    on-site warranties, to be quickly and easilly repaired if anything did go
    wrong. It's this original design philosophy (that is continued to this day)
    that makes ThinkPads the best choice for me.

    Then, when you consider that I'm an invalid on welfare (chronic back pain)
    with a very limited income and that ThinkPads were widely bought in bulk by
    the corporates it makes me one very lucky guy. There are a lot of them that
    are being 're-homed' as most corporates replace every three of four years.
    Also, as there are people who prefer to pay a premium for form over function
    <cough> they tend to be reasonably priced. This fits in well with my
    constraints, both financial and physical. Also it means that I can
    mix'n'match, buy a machine that doesn't work cheaply knowing that there's a
    good chance I can get parts fairly easilly and get it going. In fact two of
    my current collection weren't even bought as 'whole laptops', they were
    built up from parts from several sources.

    I originally bought them as 'parts kits', like this one:

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Laptops/Laptops/IBM/auction-285141862.htm

    Also the education sector went largely with ThinkPads. I've spoken to guys
    at forums.thinkpads, mainly USAian, who were issued with their machines as
    part of their college intake procedure. There was usually a tech guy on
    campus (often a student who IBM / Lenovo paid) who had a few drawers full of
    all of the FRUs (Field Replacement Units) for the current models they had
    in service so if anything went wrong with a student's machine it could be
    fixed, usually within the hour.
    Other than one of those Tosh's all those years ago that I kept for a while,
    then realsied that I needed the money I could get for it more than I needed
    a laptop (even ~4 years old they were worth as much as a new, far more
    powerful desktop back then), and a Dell PII / 400 (I got it cheaply from a
    agarage sale) that's just stopped working on me I've only bought laptops
    that have USB2 and at least Pentium M CPUs.

    I stopped buying and building Intel machines when they went to that dog of a
    CPU, the Pentium 4 and became an AMD man. However, starting with the Pentium
    M CPU ('Banais', which was then developed via the 'Dothan' to become the
    'Core' range of CPUs, then 'Core 2', and now iX range) Intel were back on
    course. It's like the whole P4 nightmare went away The Pentium M was based
    on the PIII but included a few things that Intel learned from the P4
    fiasco... Sorry, pet subject.

    Anyway, as I see it, any laptop that is running at least a 1.5GHz Pentium M
    and has USB2 is useful for most things and will remain so for a while yet.
    Bonus points if it's a ThinkPad as they had largely interchangable parts and
    there are lots of them (parts and machines) available on places like ebay or
    the site I linked to above, Trademe, NZ's version of ebay.
    Yeah, I agree on the Intel chipset thing and if I wasn't into (very light by
    today's standards) gaming I'd only buy machines with Intel graphics.
    ThinkPads did and do feature either Intel graphics or a seperate GPU. They
    never used the latest and greatest mobile GPU so, for the most part, there
    wasn't a problem with heat from it (The T60p and some T61s being the
    exception).
    I'm talking about a dedicated machine, with my full collection of my ripped
    CDs on the HDD (at a high birate), permanently hooked up to my stereo
    system. I can plug my Sennheiser cans into any of my machines if needed
    However I mean home entertainment system mp3 player.
    Well, several times I've waited while an ATM booted up and every one I've
    seen runs OS/2 to this day. As do one hell of a lot of the 'computers' that
    run essential services used by utility suppliers. For a brief time IBM *was*
    the largest /developer/ of PC software. However they ran into the inertia
    and apathy that all the various Linux distros are running into now; People
    stick with whats supplied with their machine. (Unless it's Linux, in which
    case a lot of them swap it out for Windows.)

    The difference is Linux is largely developed by volunteers so, despite the
    fact that it's user-base is small, can continue on. IBM on the other hand
    were investing billions in PC software development so, when the returns
    didn't come, pulled out again and went back to their core business of
    mainframes etcetera and their software. That said I know a couple of guys
    who run OS/2 on their day-to-day machines still. I actually bought a copy of
    OS/2 'Warp', a significant investment in those days, but coiuldn't come to
    grips with it. I was very much a n00b then. :-/
    Can't hurt to look. You say that you can't see them being 'more relaible'
    than your current crop of laptops but I believe that you really have no
    frame of reference?

    Caveat: As mentioned, I'm working with older machines, from 2004 to 2008
    (that's when they stopped offering 4:3 aspect ratio and I heartilly dislike
    'widescreen' for computing. Why do you think they have to call it
    'widescreen'? Because it's not natural, that's why. Otherwise they'd call
    the older 4:3 aspect 'narrowscreen' rather than the other way around. ;-)

    Anyway, as such I can't vouch for the current Lenovo products other than to
    say that I hear good things about the 'T' range that still carry the
    ThinkPad name. It's my understanding that IBM still have strict giudlines in
    place for Lenovo concerning the use of the ThinkPad brand name.

    ~misfit~, Apr 23, 2010
  15. Ganesh J. Acharya

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Yeah, see I'm looking at the screen (and a bit at the keyboard). To me
    that's all that is important as far as looks go. This screen is ISP and has
    awesome colour rendition and viewing angles so I don't care that the laptop
    is black.
    Good to hear. However it's my understanding that your experience isn't
    common for Sony laptops.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One man's meat is another man's
    poison. etcetera....

    I happen to think that the understated and functional no-nonsense look of my
    ThinkPads is perfect for a machine that is essentially a tool. Also, on
    Tuesday I had occasion to be in an electrical appliance store and I spent
    just under an hour looking at their very extensive selection of laptops,
    picking them up, checking the looks, weight and how 'solid' they felt (I
    know the manager, he knows it's safe to let me manhandle the goods....).

    About the only brands that the don't carry are Lenovo and Dell as they're
    pretty much websales only, except for a very few select stores where you can
    put your hands on one if you need to before buying. There wasn't one laptop
    in that store (out of perhaps 80) that I'd consider swapping my three year
    old T60 ThinkPad for, even if it was a straight-swap and they gave me $100.

    They were all bling, shiny screens, flimsy feel..... <shudder> Disposable
    consumer products. I bet that not a one of them had the magnesium-alloy
    chassis that this machine has or the carbon-fibre reinforced lid.
    I prefer one that is reliable and a joy to use over one that looks amazing
    I'm male and hetrosexual so you have some confusion going on with the gender
    of your first person pronouns.

    You are talking black-and-white, a sure sign of someone who feels
    threatened. If you must insist on persuing this comparison, every man has a
    different taste in women. None is 'wrong', except to someone who feels that
    they're right about everything.
    Ummmm, Roy, I don;t know how to tell you this... It seems that your perfect
    Sony keyboard is playing up.

    Also, you are a perfect little citizen, programmed to throw something away
    rather than buy something that is repairable and repair it when/if needed.
    Big business just LOVE people like you. It seems that their plan has worked.
    You're obviously younger than I and have been programmed well.
    Woops! There goes that reliable machine again!

    ~misfit~, Apr 23, 2010
  16. Ganesh J. Acharya

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ok, I get that. However if you're going to ask an opinion, then say that
    something else looks better it would be good if you did "update your
    technical information" *before* you say that X is better than the one I
    pointed you to in response to your question.

    ~misfit~, Apr 23, 2010
  17. Ganesh J. Acharya

    Roy Guest

    You might be the person that love this matte 4 x3 notebook screen
    which I detest….…

    Really ..? maybe what you got are reconditioned ones… or
    fakes ?..grin..
    A few of my friends also use VAIO units and not anybody of them
    complained about the build nor the performance….

    If you are looking for strong build( or unit built like a tank) how
    come you are not getting a toughbook( or a milspec field notebook PC)
    ….might be the best for your needs…..?
    Huh….? Playing,,? I am just doing rapid touch typing….. Beside I don’t
    even edit my posts as I am not using a newsreader but through google
    groups…..and there is no edit features there.

    That would be my concern if my units were that troublesome but it’s
    not…so why would I worry about repairs.?
    I don’t like to work with old units ( antiques) either as it add to
    the clutter, for me if a tool is has outlived its usefulness then
    better dispose it properly and get a new one…

    Maybe you’re mistaken as I am not a gadget collector… nor a junk
    collector ,,,, grin
    These so called big business would be happier if I change my toys
    following a trend just like the many gadget crazy individuals….BUT I
    DON'T
    --
    Well you misinterpreted again….. I agree only that we have different
    choices,…a thinkpad to me would be useful only as a paperweight….and

    Roy

    Roy, Apr 23, 2010
  18. Ganesh J. Acharya

    too many laptops

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    steer clear from and go get a...

    Steer clear from hp laptops the battery sucks and they are all about recalling yet not notifying the client at all. Ibm sucks if you want to watch movies, their dvd drivers are **** poor. Dudue? Dude! Go with a Dell!! Out of all the computers and laptops ive had the best lasting and most reliable for entertainment, business what have you is a Dell. The computer dorks who call that statement crazy are just saying that cause they struggle fixing them. Here is the kicker though...they dont break down!

    too many laptops, Mar 22, 2011