    screen at the right angle.
    Any suggestion on which laptops offer the best screen and how reliable they
    are would be much appreciated. Thanks.

    Gilbert, Jan 29, 2004

  2. Gilbert

    Dan Koren Guest

    In my experience the best -- i.e. sharpest & brightest --
    screens are Sharp, Panasonic and Fujitsu. Some Dell models
    have Sharp LCD's. Followed by IBM and Sony. Then everything
    is down from there.

    dk

    Dan Koren, Jan 30, 2004

  3. Gilbert

    Quaoar Guest

    I tend to agree with Dan's comments, but have no experience his
    brightest list. OTOH, if you do prosumer level photo editing, be aware
    that while LCD screens have very good visual color, LCDs have very
    limited color calibration capabilities, and a given color profile might
    well not be registered. Gamma is usually not a screen parameter, and
    some do not have a real brightness/contrast controls, or the parameter
    ranges are very limited. It is the nature of the LCD that what you see
    is not necessarily what you get when printed or displayed on a CRT.
    Screen to printer calibration is difficult but can be accomplished.
    Direct LCD calibration will require a screen reader like the Spyder, and
    the results might still not be the quality you require.

    Quaoar, Jan 30, 2004
  4. Gilbert

    Dan Koren Guest

    Absolutely. The best LCD's don't even come close to
    the best conventional monitors in picture quality.

    The latter unfortunately are not portable.

    dk

    Dan Koren, Jan 30, 2004
  5. I have the toshiba 5105 it has the 1400x1050, I do photo edditing just fine.

    Dennis Savatski, Jan 30, 2004
  6. Gilbert

    Gilbert Guest

    Thank you all for your input. I agree that a LCD screen is not as good as
    CRT monitor. Unfortunately, when I am on the road, I can only use a laptop.
    According to my research, the laptop with the best screen is the Fujitsu
    LifeBook series N (N3010 or the newest N5010 :
    http://www.fujitsu.ca/pdf/notebooks/lifebook/n/n5010.pdf )
    Any feedback on those models?

    Gilbert, Jan 30, 2004
  7. Gilbert

    Gilbert Guest

    fine.

    Thank you Dennis, I will check into the Toshiba you mentioned.
    Gil

    Gilbert, Jan 30, 2004
  8. Though expensive, the IBM R50p, or A31p have flexview screens which can be
    seen from most angles and a very high contrast ratio. 1600x1200 and r50p
    comes with ATI mobility fireGL T2 128MB Gcard and DVD writer.

    I don't know whether these are the best screens you can get (I don't have
    one, though have heard very good things about the T40p screen, which isn't
    even a flexview), but I'm pretty sure these would be the most reliable.

    Duncan.

    Duncan James Murray, Jan 31, 2004
  9. 8 days into a N5000 that Fry's fountain valley, ca just got in. $2090 as I
    recall. Tax and warranty made it more.

    It's nice, fast, most everything I could think of asking for (firewire,
    802b, dvd r) unless I go for a higher price Alienware. I wish I know more,
    and in a year I'll know if it was a good purchase.

    dirty rat 753, Jan 31, 2004
  10. Gilbert

    Gray Beard Guest

    :>
    :>:>> I have the toshiba 5105 it has the 1400x1050, I do photo edditing just
    :>fine.
    :>
    :>Thank you Dennis, I will check into the Toshiba you mentioned.
    :>Gil
    :>

    The 5105 is out of production but there is still one model of 5205 still
    available as a ShopToshiba exclusive. It has the highest quality display ever
    used by Toshiba, a 15" CASV running 1600x1200 UXGA that was previously used in
    the 5205-S705. Go to shoptoshiba.com and check it out.

    GBeard

    Gray Beard, Jan 31, 2004
  11. Gilbert

    pdb Guest

    I have the Fujitsu N3010 with the new MVA screen technology. This produces
    the best laptop image you have ever sen. See this week's PC Mag. Fujitsu
    is starting to license other laptop mfgrs to start using it. IBM is their
    first customer, they call it "Flexscreen" or something like that.
    Anyway, go to a store that can demo a Fujitsu side-by-side with any other
    laptop and you'll be amazed.

    pdb, Jan 31, 2004
  12. Gilbert

    Gilbert Guest

    Hi pdb,

    Thank you for your input.

    I have seen the N3010 demo in a store. You are right, its screen seems the
    best to me. I had to touch the screen to make sure it was soft because it
    looked so much like a CRT monitor.

    Now there is the new model: the N5000 series. I have read the PC mag
    article you mentioned (
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1464591,00.asp ) This model is not in
    the stores yet in Toronto. Actually not many retailers carry Fujitsu
    notebooks. I will be buying my new laptop at the beginning of April. Two
    months from now, I am sure there will be more reviews of this N5000 and by
    then, one store might have it on display.

    Searching IBM' site for their FlexScreen did not produce any results.

    Gilbert, Feb 2, 2004