    better?

    Thanks
    Kevin

    Kevin Kramb, Nov 29, 2003

  2. Kevin Kramb

    Ian Bell Guest

    Mandrake 9.2 should do you fine. I currently use it for Linux SW development
    using the Anjuta IDE.

    Ian

    Ian Bell, Nov 29, 2003

  3. I'm glad with the SuSE distris,

    Michael

    Michael Schuster, Nov 29, 2003
  4. While I encourage people to try Linux, just OOI, you don't _have_ to
    use Linux to use GCC if that's all you're trying to do: you can also
    use cygwin in windows: http://www.cygwin.com/
    I think Red Hat has generally been better for beginners, and that
    tradition continues with Fedora Linux: http://fedora.redhat.com/

    It's true that the "official" Red Hat Linux is disappearing.

    After that, I've heard Mandrake is meant to be quite beginner-friendly,
    although they dabble much more in closed source than Red Hat does
    unfortunately.

    Jifl

    Jonathan Larmour, Nov 29, 2003
  5. Kevin Kramb

    Rich Webb Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:47:57 +0000,
    Well, the "plain" Red Hat Basic is being transformed to Fedora (as you
    mention) but Red Hat Enterprise Workstation and Red Hat Enterprise
    Server (RHEW and RHES) are still around.

    Red Hat Basic users with current subscriptions (up to some November?
    drop dead date, IIRC) can switch to RHEW at a 50% discount, effectively
    transforming a $60/year support package to $90/year (for up to two
    years) or they can go to the free Fedora distro.

    Personally, I'm OK with paying for RHEW for a production machine. That's
    an affordable, supported distro for "serious" work and there are still
    many options for learning or hacking. The old free as in speech not free
    as in beer thing.

    And the observation that Red Hat is the only distro to bring suite
    against SCO is also an incentive, for me at least, to throw some support
    money their way.
    Recommend that the OP surf on over to Distro Watch and check out their
    descriptions of the pros/cons of the major distros.
    http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

    The Red Hat 9 Bible (ISBN 0-7645-3938-8, if we're talking about the same
    one) comes with the 3-CD version of the RH9 basic distro and you get a
    free "guest" account that you can use to up2date the packages to the
    current release level. It's not a bad deal and has pretty good info on
    what to do when, where, and how.

    Rich Webb, Nov 30, 2003
  6. Kevin Kramb

    David Brown Guest

    I agree entirely with that opinion.
    Red Hat makes a good choice for organisations trying to standardise on a
    single distribution, where a few people will have to support many users. It
    is also often the best supported distribution by third-parties.
    Mandrake has always been easier for beginners than Red Hat - it is
    undoubtably one of the most beginner-friendly distributions out there. I
    haven't heard of Mandrake "dabbling in closed source", although I may be out
    of touch - my impression has always been that both Red Hat and Mandrake have
    been very much on the "all code is open source - you pay for the service,
    support, etc." line. Perhaps you are thinking of Suse, whose installation
    and configuration utility YAST is closed source (although they otherwise
    make huge contributions to open source). Suse is always a solid choice for
    a professional - amongst other things, it comes with excellent printed
    docuementation.

    An alternative is Knoppix - download the iso image, burn the CD, reboot, and
    you have a working linux system running live from the CD. If you like it,
    run the hard-disk installer script and you're done.

    David Brown, Dec 1, 2003