which memory slots to fill on Tyan Thunder K8WE

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by Scotter, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. Scotter

    Scotter Guest

    Hi -

    I'm trying to decide if I need to trade my four 512MB chips for two 1 gig
    chips.

    I have a total of:
    four 512MB chips and
    two 1 GB chips
    * All this RAM is DDR400 ECC/REG

    Both processor slots filled with Opteron 252's.
    Wanting to enable NUMA on this MB.

    Would either of the following configs work? If so, which is better?

    CPU1 mem slots: put both 1 gig chips here
    CPU 2 mem slots: put all the 512MB chips here

    - OR -

    CPU1 mem slots: put one 1 gig chip and two 512 MB chips here
    CPU 2 mem slots: put one 1 gig chip and two 512 MB chips here

    Thanks for the advice!

    Scotter, Jan 9, 2006

  2. Scotter

    Scotter Guest

    To answer my own question :)
    This motherboard is VERY RAM flexible!
    So far this config worked and even with NUMA:
    Didn't try the 3-chips-per-slot idea.

    Oh and if you want to turn on NUMA in XP-32-Pro-SP2, turn OFF RAM
    Interleaving in BIOS and put /PAE in boot.ini.
    That's all I had to do and voila! 11MB/sec in Sandra Sisoft benchmark.

    Scotter, Jan 9, 2006

  3. Scotter

    Rob Stow Guest

    You need to turn off node interleave, but make sure you leave
    *bank* interleave on (default).
    A worthwhile read:
    http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/cpu/rmma-numa.html
    As a bonus, they use an S2895 box for their test system.

    Rob Stow, Jan 9, 2006
  4. This is really good. Both CPUs have the same amount of memory and all
    the banks are of matched sticks.
    This balances the memory across the CPUs, but it does not populate each
    bank with two matched sticks. So this is likely inferior.

    DS

    David Schwartz, Jan 12, 2006