    board.
    I had two Abit kt133a boards die with this combo so I need advice on an
    alternate chipset. Thanks.

    Ed Hammett, Nov 9, 2003

  2. Ed Hammett

    rstlne Guest

    Sounds like the Mobo's were bad, there should be no reason for that to
    destroy a motherboard.. the chipset has proven itself to be great and
    sturdy, there were 2 other popular chipsets that you could use, just look
    through mobo's and pick one tho as the chipset probably wasnt the problem.
    The probably was probably the psu or the abit design/spec

    rstlne, Nov 9, 2003

  3. Why not use the Asus A7v8x-x?

    Chris Simpson, Nov 9, 2003
  4. Ed Hammett

    Doughnut Guest

    I have built quite a few systems with the ECS K7S5A motherboard (about 20)
    and these have proven to be cheap but reliable boards for the people ive
    built them for, they take either pc133 or ddr but only one sort of ram at a
    time, u cannot mix pcc133 & ddr together.

    cheers
    doughnut

    Doughnut, Nov 9, 2003
  5. Ed Hammett

    Ed Hammett Guest

    Why not use the Asus A7v8x-x?

    Thanx guys...but, still a chipset? Gimme a chipset and I'll find the board
    thanx.
    Did Intel make a chipset for the Tbird? Did AMD? Sis? Yea the Abit board
    sucked big rocks as soon as I dropped a GF4 in it. I updated the chipset
    bios, the RAID controller bios, even the vidcards bios, still
    incompatibility. I was lucky to keep it running at stock/default settings
    and then when I added a fresh install of XP, forget it, tits up. Win98SE
    barely worked, XP did not work at all.

    Ed Hammett, Nov 10, 2003
  6. Ed Hammett

    Bill Guest

    Yes.

    Bill

    Bill, Nov 10, 2003
  7. Ed Hammett

    Ed Hammett Guest

    There's a K7S5A in both Sis735 and 745 versions and so you must mean the 735
    as the 745 is ddr only. I'll try to find a used one on ebay. Shoulda just
    done my own homework in the first place but thanks anyway.

    Ed Hammett, Nov 10, 2003
  8. INtell hates AMD... Is a chipset all that important to you? I look at
    the MB myself...

    Chris Simpson, Nov 10, 2003
  9. Ed Hammett

    DCstewieG Guest

    The chipset is the most important part of the motherboard. You choose which
    one, then you find the motherboard that uses it and has the features you
    want.

    DCstewieG, Nov 10, 2003
  10. The AMD chipsets all all the same... I just look at the latest one...

    Chris Simpson, Nov 10, 2003
  11. Ed Hammett

    rstlne Guest

    They are talking about "Chipsets"

    like
    http://www.via.com.tw/en/chipsets/chipsets.jsp
    too many via ones to list, go here and look at the K7 series
    there are 15 listed..

    SiS, AMD, ALi all had their own too ( I thought the SiS and ALi's worked
    flawlessly ) but anyhow...

    You have TONS and they are all different in one way or another..

    rstlne, Nov 10, 2003
  12. I relly don't see what the point is what can one relly do over another?

    Chris Simpson, Nov 11, 2003
  13. Ed Hammett

    DCstewieG Guest

    As far as performance, the memory controller in the chipset is the most
    important. But now, with the Athlon 64, the memory controller is built in to
    the CPU, so chipsets will be less important. But they still work with hard
    drives and ethernet and almost anything with support built-in to the
    motherboard. And all are not created equal performance-wise. No, these
    differences usually aren't huge, but they are definitely noticeable in
    benchmarks.

    The biggest incentive in a chipset recently for me was the nForce2 with
    SoundStorm. I never got it, but if I had the money I totally would. It SUCKS
    what it isn't in the nForce3, because that is what I was looking forward to
    alongside a new Athlon 64.

    DCstewieG, Nov 11, 2003
  14. Ed Hammett

    rstlne Guest

    Visit the webpage and take a look and you'll see

    rstlne, Nov 11, 2003
  15. I did, to me it's like differnt brans of gas, they all clame to be
    better then the other but they are all pretty much the same... Unless
    you are talking about a 32 bit chipset vs a 64 bit one...

    Chris Simpson, Nov 11, 2003