    I'm not too worried about features at the moment, just a basic board that
    will take anything from an XP1800+ to XP2400+.
    Cheers

    Jason Notley, Aug 16, 2003

  2. Jason Notley

    Ski Guest

    I'm looking at upgrading my system from socket 370 to socket A. I would like
    Built the elite K7S5A pro for a friend with the same problem,
    didn't want to throw his RAM away.
    Worked well.
    2 Weeks later he had me upgrade it from a t-bird 1.4 256-pc133
    to xp2000+ 512 2100DDR...all went well,
    machine does 3dmark2001se at around 10,000
    with an asus ti-4200 vid card.

    Various Elitegroup forum members steered me twords
    a single stick of DDR512, as they pointed out
    problems with a 256X2 setup on this board.

    Other options are a honeyX or cheepoman BIOS
    for overclocking, haven't gone there yet.

    Ski

    Ski, Aug 16, 2003

  3. Jason Notley

    Nystagmus Guest

    I've built 5 systems based on the ECS K7S5A mainboard and all are still
    running today with no problems. My daughter's mainboard uses 512MB of
    Crucial PC133 and my work mainboard uses 512MB of Crucial PC2100 and to be
    honest there is no noticeable speed difference between the 2 in real life
    applications. Only difference is in benchmark tests and even then its
    minimal. Stay with your 512MB PC133.

    You will need a clean powered 350-watt PSU (very important). An Antec
    350-watt PSU is the PSU I use and it works well with the K7S5A.

    If you are experienced with upgrading the BIOS I recommend you upgrade to
    the latest Honey X BIOS. It gives you some extra features and OC options.

    http://www.ezboard.com/

    In the "what's your interest" box type K7S5A and it will take you to a forum
    about the K7S5A and from there you can download the Honey X BIOS.

    Any other questions can most likely be answered at the follow newsgroup
    link: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup
    Most of this newsgroups is centered on the K7S5A.

    Good Luck
    Nystagmus

    Nystagmus, Aug 16, 2003
  4. Jason Notley

    Pug Fugley Guest

    I use the Shuttle AK32E in your exact situation (customer wants to keep 133
    RAM and get DDR later) and for a "no frills, rock solid" system. I used to
    use the ECSk57a but quit using it becuase of problems. I've never had a
    problem from the Shuttle boards.

    Pug Fugley, Aug 16, 2003
  5. Jason Notley

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Which Asus allows the use of both PC133 and DDR RAM?

    Pug Fugley, Aug 16, 2003
  6. Jason Notley

    SPS 700 Guest

    I will second that. I have six ECS K7S5A boards Pro & non Pro versions
    running. I also have dead MSI, Soyo & Epox boards that have been replaced
    with the ECS K7S5A. I don't have a dead ECS board.

    SPS 700, Aug 17, 2003
  7. Jason Notley

    S.Heenan Guest

    The Asus A7A266, using the Ali Majik chipset. I think he was was referring
    to the Asrock K7VT2, which is an offshoot of Asus.

    S.Heenan, Aug 17, 2003