Which NVIDIA nForce chipset is in the XPS 720?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Rob Nicholson, Dec 5, 2007.

  1. I posted in another thread about problems with a new Dell XPS 720 crashing
    when used as a backup-to-disk target for Backup Exec. It's currently running
    Windows XP (as shipped) and I wondered whether we were asking a little too
    much of it.

    So... tried to install Windows 2003 standard (MSDN version) and it blue
    screens just as it says "Starting Windows" after the initial copy of
    boots/set-up files. Completely repeatable :)

    I wondered if it's a driver issue, maybe SATA with the NVIDIA nForce chipset
    and I needed to try the SATA drivers on floppy disk.

    Problem is I don't know what chipset is inside this beast. On Windows XP,
    the device manager says "NVIDIA nForce 590/570/550". I thought. possibly
    incorrectly, that it was the nForce 6 series, maybe the 680i but now I'm not
    sure so sure.

    Does anyone know what chipset is in the XPS 720?

    But more importantly, are there any Windows 2003 drivers? I went down the
    list and couldn't find any. Would Windows XP drivers work? Not sure how
    compatibility the driver model is.

    And.. I think I know what the SLI bit is about (dual graphics rendering) but
    that's the LT prefix?

    Thanks, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Dec 5, 2007

  2. Rob Nicholson

    WSZsr Guest

    Just plug in your service tag at support.dell.com and

    WSZsr, Dec 5, 2007

  3. Rob Nicholson

    WSZsr Guest

    oops. Plugging in your service tag at support.dell.com in the download
    section will give you the downloads for the system. You need the SATA
    drivers (F6).

    WSZsr, Dec 5, 2007
  4. Just plug in your service tag at support.dell.com and

    That just gives me the build list from Dell - doesn't mention the chipset.

    Cheers, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Dec 5, 2007
  5. oops. Plugging in your service tag at support.dell.com in the download
    Problem is that there are no Windows 2003 drivers. I've looked now on the
    NVIDIA website and the only nForce Windows 2003 drivers are for the AMD
    variant, not Intel.

    Suspected we are out of luck and that you can't run Windows 2003 on this
    system at the moment.

    Cheers, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Dec 5, 2007
  6. Rob Nicholson

    Kevin Guest

    Windows 2003? I didn't know there was a Windows 2003. Or is that Windows
    Server? Just asking.

    Kevin, Dec 5, 2007
  7. Rob Nicholson

    Ben Myers Guest

    Given the remarkable similarities between Win 2000 Pro, Win 2003 Server, and
    Windows XP, the Windows XP drivers might be worth a try. On the other hand, I
    am aware of Windows 2000/2003 Server absolutely rejecting a lot of software that
    one intuitively believes oughta work. This is the black art of authoring INI
    files in action. A lot of install/not install decisions are triggered by INI
    files, truly the blackest of black arts, right up there with voodoo, killing
    chickens, and wearing a necklace of garlic cloves, which I always do when
    working on a Windows computer. For Linux, I find that a simple amulet works
    well... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 5, 2007
  8. Windows 2003? I didn't know there was a Windows 2003. Or is that Windows
    Yes, Windows 2003 server.

    Cheers, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Dec 6, 2007
  9. Given the remarkable similarities between Win 2000 Pro, Win 2003 Server,
    I'm going to give the Windows XP drivers a go :) The system is imaged so I
    can put it back.

    Cheers, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Dec 6, 2007
  10. Rob Nicholson

    WSZsr Guest

    It does if you go to drivers and downloads. However, missed the fact that
    you were trying to install Win 2003.

    WSZsr, Dec 6, 2007