    I mainly use my computer for doing audio/video encoding and conversions and
    some gaming and obviously lots of internet.

    Should I pay the $200 and upgrade my system?

    ZigZag Master, Aug 2, 2004

  2. ZigZag Master

    Ben Pope Guest

    It's up to you.

    Sounds reasonable though, and would outperform your current system quite
    nicely, especially in encoding. Go check some benchmarks, I find Anandtech
    to be mostly unbiased.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Aug 2, 2004

  3. ZigZag Master

    *Vanguard* Guest

    What 64-bit software (OS and apps) do you actually have now or are
    planning to buy real soon to put on the 64-bit hardware platform? The
    hardware upgrade may only cost you $200, but what will the upgrade to
    Windows 64 cost you? And what applications do you have or are in the
    near future that will support and take advantage of the 64-bit hardware?
    I believe the 64-bit version of Windows is the 2003 server version so
    you'll spend a lot more than *another* $200 to get a Windows OS that
    supports a 64-bit platform.

    *Vanguard*, Aug 2, 2004
  4. ZigZag Master

    Geoff Guest

    i have the same system, i'm waiting for s939 though, not this cheapy 754
    stuff :)

    Geoff, Aug 2, 2004
  5. ZigZag Master

    BUFF Guest

    Thing is it will run quite happily on a 32 bit OS & indeed the AMD64 is
    currently the best gaming CPU that you can get for 32 bit.
    Not to mention that the Windows 64 beta is free & 64 bit Linux available.

    BUFF, Aug 2, 2004
  6. ZigZag Master

    Wes Newell Guest

    If you can really get it for this price, hell yes. Normal price of this
    would be over $300.

    Wes Newell, Aug 3, 2004