    controller and a Intel Controller. If I am using Raid 1, which
    controller would be the better choice to use? Any experiences / advice
    on the relative performances of each along with advantages or disadvantages?

    John, Jul 12, 2004

  2. John

    TomC Guest

    While this may well have limited or no application to mobo IDE controllers,
    I'll respond based on my experience with Promise controller cards:
    avoid Promise. In your situation I'd try the Intel RAID first.

    If you want a good RAID card from a serious company, try 3ware.

    TomC

    disadvantages?

    TomC, Jul 13, 2004

  3. John

    Tim Guest

    Tim, Jul 13, 2004
  4. John

    Courseyauto Guest

    Either one will work the same,however using the Intel will let you use the
    smaller SATA cables. Performance will be the same unless you use Raptor 10,000
    rpm drives. DOUG

    Courseyauto, Jul 13, 2004
  5. John

    MikeSp Guest

    I wonder if the actual performance will be the same since the Intel
    controller is part of the South Bridge and the Promise controller is
    PCI-based--BUT, the performance difference, if any, might be minimal. I
    chose to use the Intel controller and disable the Promise controller which
    still allows me two SATA Raptors, two optical IDE drives and a backup IDE
    HDD. Although I was using RAID 0, a thread on this ng convinced me to look
    to RAID 1 since the gains by RAID 0 in my circimstance would be negligible.
    BUT, in dumping Norton (YEA!) I have found that the FAQs regarding PC-Cillin
    indicate it will not run on a RAID system...so am looking at other
    alternative AV's before I go back to RAID. Good luck to you

    MikeSp

    MikeSp, Jul 13, 2004
  6. John

    John Guest

    The promise on this board also have 2 SATA conrollers.

    John, Jul 13, 2004
  7. John

    Courseyauto Guest

    <The promise on this board also have 2 SATA conrollers.

    2 promise SATA controlers or 2 sata controllers,INTEL and promise.
    Is one of them a promise ata controller, it looks like there are two ATA
    ports for ATA drives. I'm pretty sure the Sata controllers will do raid or non
    raid.

    Courseyauto, Jul 13, 2004
  8. John

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Promise does very good RAID.
    Tops but very expensive.

    Ron Reaugh, Jul 13, 2004
  9. John

    TomC Guest

    Ron;

    Maybe Promise does good motherboard RAID, but I have had to throw out enough
    of their IDE cards for various reasons over the years that I don't trust the
    company.

    In addition to their expensive cards, 3ware makes a low-end IDE RAID card,
    the Escalade 8006-2LP. It is available on NewEgg for $139. My
    previous-version Escalade was easy to install, very Linux-friendly, has good
    documentation and software tools, and has been perfectly reliable.

    I have been waiting for an opportunity to complain about another RAID card
    manufacturer, HighPoint, though I know that this is a bit off the original
    topic.

    I tried a HighPoint RocketRaid 133 card before the Escalade, a nightmare
    experience. Installation under Red Hat 9 was convoluted and time consuming,
    but I finally got it to function, and to pass its own diagnostics. Due to
    the miserable documentation, I still don't know if the card works under any
    but the original RH9 kernel. I eventually noticed that >1 MB files copied
    from the mirrored server were being corrupted, with no error messages
    warning of the corruption. When I tried to find a driver update, I found
    that HighPoint had simply withdrawn the version of Linux driver that I had
    installed (the latest driver), without posting any explanation or a newer
    driver. I don't know if the driver caused the problem, or the hardware, or
    what. I had to verify the integrity of about 17,000 client files from
    backups, and in some cases by manually examining individual files. The card
    made a nice sound going into the trash. I know, I know, I got what I paid
    for.

    TomC

    TomC, Jul 13, 2004
  10. John

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    And good PCI card RAID for quite a number of years now.
    Not ME! Ever since the Ultra33 and original FastTrak they've been quite
    good.
    That's double the price of others.
    I have never been high on HighPoint.

    SIIG with their recent SilImage ATA & ATA RAID cards are good.

    Ron Reaugh, Jul 14, 2004
  11. John

    TomC Guest

    There are excellent reasons to avoid Linux, but it has been slowly growing
    on me, sort of like a fungus.

    TomC

    TomC, Jul 14, 2004
  12. John

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    "growing"...reasons to avoid or Linus?

    Get a better fungicide<G>. I use the BillG brand and it seems to have kept
    me free from infection so far.

    Ron Reaugh, Jul 14, 2004
  13. John

    TomC Guest

    No, I like a challenge, and to us latecomers Linux is a serious challenge. I
    like the way it works even when it is broken. I like looking at the source
    code, though my coding days are mostly over. I like the moderated Linux
    newsgroups -- terminal nerd central, no scams/porn/distractions. What I've
    paid Bill for Microsoft products has been money very well spent (well, maybe
    not for DOS 4.0 or Windows 3.0), but it's fun that he has a serious
    challenge from people who enjoy this stuff even more than he does.

    TomC

    TomC, Jul 14, 2004
  14. John

    John Guest

    THere are 3 Pata ports, one promise, 2 intel. Both the promise and intel
    Sata controllers do raid, except the promise also offers RAID 1+0 and
    can also do Raid with drives on its single PATA contorller (With at
    least one SATA drive in the array).

    I setup the two systems (P4P800E - deluxe) with RAID 1 on the intel
    controller (disabling the promise for now). So far they are very stable
    with APM (standby mode etc) working flawlessly (win2000).

    John, Jul 14, 2004