    I want something under $30.00 used.

    Any recommendation?

    Thanks...

    Doug, Jul 28, 2003

  2. Doug

    Ben Myers Guest

    I do not understand how the 810 on-board video cause the computer to freeze with
    IE 5.5 I've set up a number of computer with 810 and 810e chipsets with Win
    98SE and IE 5.5, and never a problem, even eMachines computers which often share
    the same low-cost Korean-made motherboard with HP models. Can you explain? Is
    this a documented problem somewhere.

    Once the computer is running with XP, do you intend to continue using the PCI
    graphics, or do you want to revert back to 810 graphics?

    As a workaround, consider using another browser such as Mozilla 1.3 or 1.4. And
    I would suspect either messed up entries in the Windows registry, corrupted IE
    program files, maybe some messed up cookies or history file data.

    An install of XP over an existing Windows install is likely to carry forward any
    of the warts an imperfections in the previous version of Windows. Microsoft's
    upgrade installs are like that. They slavishly carry forward many registry
    entries, whether correct or not... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 28, 2003

  3. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Oh...This 8655C freeze seems to be a common problem that
    comp.sys.hp.hardware documents quite a bit. My understanding is HP was
    pushing the envelope to run the board in a higher frequency that it
    can handle and so there was glitch with the video RAM and onboard RAM
    (refresh problem?)

    Some common solutions for this problem are:
    a) have HP replaces the MB which I could not do anymore
    b) change the CPU to celeron with lower MHZ.
    c) disable on-board video and add in a PCI video card.

    And I just opt for a add in PCI video card. Believe me. I have been
    battling with this problem for a long time and I just give up.

    Doug

    Doug, Jul 28, 2003
  4. Doug

    Doug Guest

    If I opt to fix with a processor, which processor did you recommend?
    I think a celeron will do but not sure what model. A link will be very helpful.
    thanks

    Doug, Jul 29, 2003