    with an SSD for best speed. I'll be using my existing SATA
    hard-drives for data storage use only on other ports.
    Herb.

    Cyborg-HAF, Mar 5, 2014

  2. Cyborg-HAF

    Paul Guest

    X79
    2xSATA 6GBit/sec <--- Use these for SSD
    4xSATA 3Gbit/sec

    Marvell 9128
    2xSATA 6GBit/sec

    AsMedia 1061
    2xSATA 6GBit/sec

    The X79 connects via DMI, which is a relatively
    high bandwidth connection to the rest of the computer.

    http://media.bestofmicro.com/C/T/307613/original/x79-block-diagram.jpg

    The PCI Express connections on the other chips, are "thinner".
    (That is, the width of the interface, right on the 9128 chip
    and 1061 chip, would be a limitation if using 500MB/sec SSD drives.)
    I would select the Intel ports, just based on their better wiring.

    I think as well, the Marvell 9128 has a driver limitation
    on transfer rate. Later Marvell chips may have fixed this,
    so it could be a hardware issue. You can still use the Marvell
    ports, but they may not give as good a benchmark.

    You can connect the SSD as a data drive, and just use benchmarking
    utilities to measure the performance. That way, you can prove to
    yourself, which one has the highest sustained read, or the
    highest I/O command rate.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Mar 5, 2014

  3. Cyborg-HAF

    Cyborg-HAF Guest

    Thanks for the info. Will try this when I have funds to get
    it.
    Herb

    Cyborg-HAF, Mar 6, 2014