    units instead, which Sun SPARC servers would match the specs above? Yes,
    I have looked at the specs at sun.com and would guess V120 for the Blade
    1500 and V240 for the Blade 2500; but what is your view?

    Erlend Leganger, Nov 15, 2005

  2. Erlend Leganger

    kangcool Guest

    Yes,
    how? v120 is slower and is a ultra sparc2i? it also has scsi, so it
    nothing like a sb1500.
    if you want a rack mounted sb1500 you need to go for either uni v210,
    which is a bit slower at 1.34Ghz or pay a bit more for a uni v240 with
    1.6Ghz.
    Yes thats right

    For x-server you could try sun rays as their great!

    kangcool, Nov 16, 2005

  3. HI,
    Have they released a v240 with 2x1.6?

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Nov 16, 2005
  4. Erlend Leganger

    kangcool Guest

    no, just looked.

    the max is only 2x1.5Ghz -> it would be the v440 with the 1.59etc...
    Ghz, i thought they had the same chip in both.

    kangcool, Nov 16, 2005
  5. HI,
    I wounder what is to be expected next on Sparc WS/rackmount and when!

    It's been some 8-9 months since the 1.59 in the Silver arrived!

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Nov 16, 2005
  6. Erlend Leganger

    kangcool Guest

    probably at least 3 more months, then thats a year for it.

    Also it depends on the ultrasparc 3i+, hopefuly it was not forgoten
    about with the rush for the T1.

    So the next speed bump will the 1.8Ghz which for me I could justify
    moving of my sb1500 red.

    kangcool, Nov 16, 2005
  7. HI,
    Ahh, have you heard(confirmed) that they only moving up to 1.8 GHz from
    the current 1.6 GHz! I om a sb2500 silver and then there is no point in
    upgrading apart from always nice with a new box ;)

    What will that version be named, gold :)

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Nov 17, 2005
  8. The IIIi+ will be very different from IIIi so my estimate is that
    the 1.8GHz will be atleast 50% if not 100% faster than 1.6GHz IIIi.
    (The US IV+ (1.5GHz) is 50%-100% faster than USIV (1.35GHz).
    platinum?

    Regards
    Fredrik

    Fredrik Lundholm, Nov 17, 2005
  9. Erlend Leganger

    kangcool Guest

    The IIIi+ will be very different from IIIi so my estimate is that
    wow - that makes it 100%-150% faster for me, thats blagable!

    I think gold is more likely than platinum, as its clear difference in
    colour. But we could be having a new box, since there going over to
    the same style as the ultra 20 on the niagera servers, racks etc...

    Any one got word on the memory controller? It would be nice to have it
    up to ddr1 400 at worse case, or since niagera off to ddr2 that would
    be ok.

    kangcool, Nov 17, 2005
  10. HI,

    Have you heard any timeframe for the arrival?

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Nov 17, 2005
  11. Erlend Leganger

    Paul Gress Guest

    Will you be able to just pop out the old CPU, and replace it with the
    newer? If so, both silver and red Blade 2500's?

    Paul

    Paul Gress, Nov 18, 2005
  12. I have no idea, but I hope not. I hope it is a fresh new design with a
    new memory interface and a PCI-Express for graphics adapters.

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Nov 18, 2005
  13. Erlend Leganger

    kangcool Guest

    I have no idea, but I hope not. I hope it is a fresh new design with a
    We can dream?

    But I had a talk with a hardware sales bloke at a NDA talk and they
    seem very commited to new stuff like PCI-Express, and ddr2.

    If it is a totaly new design then I guess it would put back the date to
    middle of next year, juding on how quick sun is. If not it could be
    xmas or 06Q1?

    kangcool, Nov 18, 2005
  14. (Fredrik Lundholm) writes in comp.sys.sun.hardware:
    |>What will that version be named, gold :)
    |
    |platinum?

    Lead-free. :cool:

    Alan Coopersmith, Nov 19, 2005
  15. Hi,

    yeaah, thats what we HW Engineers are pushing for now ;)

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Nov 21, 2005
  16. HI,
    Uhh, I really would like it to be orderable before the end of 2006Q1
    because last year was a good real :)

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Nov 21, 2005
  17. |Alan Coopersmith wrote:
    |> Lead-free. :cool:
    |>
    |yeaah, thats what we HW Engineers are pushing for now ;)

    Isn't the EU RoHS rules a HW engineer full employment act? Need to
    replace all those old designs full of solder with new ones...

    Alan Coopersmith, Nov 22, 2005
  18. Do recall that the US-IIIi's talk directly to their associated DIMM's
    and talk to the I/O over the JBus. Upgrading to DDR2 would just involve
    the memory controller on the US-IIIi+ and upgrading to PCI-Express would
    involve a new I/O chip. The former should be pretty straightforward as
    they already have a DDR2 interface for the T1 processor.

    One of the differences between the IIIi and IIIi+ is the size of the
    on-chip L2 cache, which is 1MB on the IIIi and 4MB on the IIIi+. It is
    possible that Sun and TI have learned where they can tighten up the
    timing on the IIIi to get some extra throughput.

    I'd also like to see a IIIi+ desktop 06Q1. Next question is when will we
    see a IIIi+ laptop?

    - Erik

    P.S. One of the "Sun was thinking" features on my SB-1500 (Silver) is
    the shroud over the DIMM bank that is attached to the exhaust fan. Even
    with that, the DIMM's do get warm.

    Erik Magnuson, Nov 22, 2005
  19. HI,

    Ofcourse, imagine what it would be without :) think DELL ;)

    I do like the Silver 2500, for being a WS it is nicely designed.

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Nov 22, 2005
  20. HI,

    Got to be, one should check who is behind it, unemployed /// Engineer :)

    Or it could be the Chinese/India that has infiltred the EU in order to
    once and for all to shut down EU Engineering ;)

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Nov 22, 2005