Which Travelstar is better: 5K80 or GNX ?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by 1visitor, Oct 12, 2003.

  1. 1visitor

    1visitor Guest

    Does anyone have any valuable information as to how these two
    Travelstar models compare in performance ?
    I have read excellent reports about the GNX, but so far none about the
    5K80 which is a newer 5400 rpm model.

    Hitachi's comparison tool page quotes the 5k80 as featuring ATA-6 and
    8 meg cache against GNX's ATA-5 with 2 meg cache.
    I thought the GNX also had an 8 meg cache, so that got me thinking,
    maybe it was mispelled.
    I'd like to know under which circumstances an ATA-6 HD is effectively
    better, would it make a difference in non-latest machines such as the
    T-23 or the 600 series ?

    Another question that I would like answered is about "enhanced"
    models. There seems to me one "e" version of the GNX and of the 7200
    rpm model but not of the EK80.
    What I wonder is if an "e" version implies that the standard version
    of the same disk would not stand the demands of say, 24-hour broadband
    internet ?
    Maybe someone could share experience in these regards.

    many thanks

    => if e-mailing, remove the anti-spam "1" digit

    1visitor, Oct 12, 2003

  2. 1visitor

    Paul Rubin Guest

    I've had rotten luck with almost every Travelstar drive I've had
    (about 5 of them so far). I wouldn't buy any more of them if I had a
    choice.

    Paul Rubin, Oct 12, 2003

  3. 1visitor

    John Guest

    Does anyone have any valuable information as to how these two
    Possibly this site will be helpfiul:

    http://www.hgst.com/portal/site/hgst/

    I am currently working with @10 GNX 20 & 40GB.
    Not had any problems with noise or performance.

    Regards ... John

    John, Oct 12, 2003
  4. 1visitor

    John Guest

    Subject: Re: Which Travelstar is better: 5K80 or GNX ?
    Oooops ... the above URL should have taken you to:

    http://tinyurl.com/qn0p

    John

    John, Oct 12, 2003
  5. 1visitor

    1visitor Guest

    ( before e-mailing, remove the "1" digit from address )

    Were the 5K80 and GNX among the Travelstars you had ?
    Tks.

    => if e-mailing, remove the anti-spam "1" digit

    1visitor, Oct 20, 2003
  6. 1visitor

    1visitor Guest

    ( before e-mailing, remove the "1" digit from address )

    Thanks John, I've been there but that's Hitachi's site.
    I was looking for some user's opinions.
    Best regards

    => if e-mailing, remove the anti-spam "1" digit

    1visitor, Oct 20, 2003