    screwing around with buggy drivers, than with the quality of the
    images.
    Any suggestions?

    amiga500, Jul 21, 2003

  2. amiga500

    Charles Dyer Guest

    no, you idiot. There are SCSI scanners which work under OS X. There just
    aren't any _cheap_ SCSI scanners which work under OS X, mostly because there
    aren't any cheap SCSI scanners any more, not since the cheap scanner market
    was eaten whole by USB scanners.

    And don't even think about using a UMAX scanner under OS X, they've abandoned
    virutally all of their Mac scanners, USB _and_ SCSI. There are no UMAX
    drivers for almost all of them, and only some are supported by VueScan. If
    you insist on using a UMAX scanner, you're almost certainly gonna have two
    choices:

    1 stay in OS 9

    2 use it in Classic under OS X.

    Better you junk it and get a faster, cheaper, Epson or HP or Canon USB
    scanner which has OS X drivers... unless, of course, your whole object is to
    whine. In that case, carry on.

    Charles Dyer, Jul 22, 2003

  3. amiga500

    Charles Dyer Guest

    Dump the UMAX, it's almost certainly not supported under OS X. UMAX has
    effectively abandoned the Mac market. There are Epson SCSI scanners which
    work under OS X, but they're expensive. At least four or five times your max
    price.

    Charles Dyer, Jul 22, 2003
  4. amiga500

    Dale J. Guest

    Why would you expect a piece of Umax SCSI crap to run in X?
    I've got a crappy Umax USB scanner ... and it doesn't run in X.

    - hm[/QUOTE]

    I have a Umax 6400 firewire scanner which runs in OSX, with the Vuescan
    application. I paid $49 bucks for the 6400, works good.

    Dale J., Jul 22, 2003
  5. amiga500

    amiga500 Guest

    Sorry I wasn't clear in starting this thread. My question is:

    I want to buy a new USB scanner. Can someone recommend some that are
    absolutely reliable under MacOS X? Easy of use and reliability are more
    important than graphic quality.

    amiga500, Jul 26, 2003
  6. amiga500

    Charles Dyer Guest

    Just about any Epson or HP or Canon USB scanner will do. I personally have an
    Epson CX5200 combo unit attached to my eMac at home. It was US$100 after
    rebate. It's a pretty good printer, and a copy machine, and scanner. Epson's
    TWAIN software works quickly and easily. It's not exactly the scanner I'd use
    for professional output (it scans slightly blue, for one thing) but it's more
    than good enough for home use. (And, now that I know it scans slightly blue,
    I can correct the scans...)

    Charles Dyer, Jul 26, 2003
  7. Just about any Epson or HP or Canon USB scanner will do.[/QUOTE]

    Unfortunately, Canon scanner driver support for OS X leaves a lot to be
    desired:

    <http://rentzsch.com/suck/canonLiDE30Scanner>

    Lambert Dickmeis, Jul 26, 2003
  8. Canon: "Oh, it works fine if you just install this library."

    Me: "I have to buy Photoshop to get that library, right?"

    Canon: "Is that a problem?"

    Wesley Groleau, Jul 27, 2003
  9. amiga500

    Charles Dyer Guest

    Hmmm. I have a couple Canons at the office and didn't notice any problems.
    But then all the machines that have scanners on 'em at the office also have
    Photoshop.

    Charles Dyer, Jul 27, 2003