Who is dead? ASUS K8V SE Deluxe, my Seasonic 500 watts PSU, or something else?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ANTant, Jun 19, 2006.

  1. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Hello.

    I was playing a FarCry v1.31 mod and then bam my 17" CRT monitor's display goes black and I
    see a video signal loss light blinking. It seems like my monitor and GeForce 6800 video
    card lost connection.

    Then, my computer/Windows seem have to crashed(?) -- I could still hear the game music but
    it was like choppy/laggy (on and off). Also, pings to the computer from another box (set
    the firewall to let pings through) were not consistent (no pings, normal pings, or delayed
    ping responses). I tried to SSH into my Windows box, but it failed (never conencted).

    I had to reboot (reset button). It gets better! My computer failed to reboot! I pressed
    power button but it shut down fast (should take me 5 seconds not like 1-2 seconds). Now, I
    can't even power on anymore! I turned off the PSU in the back, and turned it back on and
    heard a single beep (no fans came on, computer still off, etc.) and saw the case lights
    come on for one second (HDD and power). I am not sure what that beep means and couldn't
    find this information in the motherboard manual (never saw anything about beeps for
    errors). I don't even get any POST voices.

    I tried letting my computer rest for about 30 minutes when I went to take a cool shower,
    but that doesn't seem to help (still hear that single beep and see case lights after
    turning on PSU switch). :(

    I think my computer overheated (last saw 117F degrees case and 152F degrees CPU before
    launching FarCry to play). And it was about 90F degrees in my room when the system crashed.
    I opened the case cover and looked around. I don't see or smell anything odd. I did see the
    green light being on the motherboard when PSU was on. It just nothing else comes on (beside
    the one second case lights) for when I try to power the computer on (no fans spinning,
    etc.).

    What do you think? Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "You're kissing an ant hill." --Mike Nelson
    /\___/\
    ( )

    ANTant, Jun 19, 2006

  2. ANTant

    Venom Guest

    Replace your video card.

    Venom, Jun 19, 2006

  3. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Are you saying my XFX GeForce 6800 (AGP; 128 MB) video card is dead? I only had it since
    November 2005. That doesn't explain why my PSU and motheboard come up. Shouldn't
    motherboard tell me that something is wrong with my video card after I hear PSU and
    motherboard boot up (e,.g., fans, power lights on the ATX case)?

    ANTant, Jun 19, 2006
  4. ANTant

    Tom S Guest

    My P5AD2 did something similar. Turned out that the video card was hosed.

    BTW, you should install as many fans in that case as will fit and consider a
    better fan assembly for the CPU as well. These suckers run HOT. The Intel
    cooler blows air down over the CPU and the heated air stream cooks the
    electrolytic caps in the near vicinity. I installed a Scythe Katana instead
    and although it was a pain in the butt to install it cools much better and
    directs the heat away from the motherboard.

    Tom S

    Tom S, Jun 19, 2006
  5. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Your computer beeped (1 second) when trying to power on and no fans going? I thought when
    this happens, PSU fans spin, motherboard boots up, and then computer beeps/POST voices. Mine
    didn't do that.

    ANTant, Jun 19, 2006
  6. ANTant

    Ben Dover Guest

    blabbered in
    First, the green LED will be on whenever the system is plugged in.

    Losing the CPU from overheating will not cause your monitor to lose
    power/synch, so your obvious choice is the PSU puked itself or it has a
    thermal limiter that could have popped a circuit breaker. Is there a
    reset button on the PSU? If not ... time for a new PSU

    If you have an AMI bios, here are the POST beep codes....

    AMI BIOS Beep Codes:
    Beeps
    Error Message
    Description
    1 short DRAM refresh failure
    The programmable interrupt timer or programmable interrupt controller has
    failed

    2 short Memory parity error
    A memory parity error has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC
    is probably bad

    3 short Base 64K memory failure
    A memory failure has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is
    probably bad

    4 short System timer failure
    The system clock/timer IC has failed or there is a memory error in the
    first bank of memory

    5 short Processor error
    The system CPU has failed

    6 short Gate A20 failure
    The keyboard controller IC has failed, which is not allowing Gate A20 to
    switch the processor to protected mode. Replace the keyboard controller

    7 short Virtual mode processor exception error
    The CPU has generated an exception error because of a fault in the CPU or
    motherboard circuitry

    8 short Display memory read/write error
    The system video adapter is missing or defective

    9 short ROM checksum error
    The contents of the system BIOS ROM does not match the expected checksum
    value. The BIOS ROM is probably defective and should be replaced

    10 short CMOS shutdown register read/write error
    The shutdown for the CMOS has failed

    11 short Cache error
    The L2 cache is faulty

    1 long, 2 short Failure in video system
    An error was encountered in the video BIOS ROM, or a horizontal retrace
    failure has been encountered

    1 long, 3 short Memory test failure
    A fault has been detected in memory above 64KB

    1 long, 8 short Display test failure
    The video adapter is either missing or defective

    2 short POST Failure
    One of the hardware testa have failed

    1 long POST has passed all tests

    Ben Dover, Jul 5, 2006
  7. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Hello.
    Hi, this has been resolved a few weeks ago. It seems like the PSU was in safety mode because
    the video card sparked into smoke after removing other cards and turning on the PSU.
    --
    "Ants can attack with a grain of rice." --Madagascar
    /\___/\
    ( )

    ANTant, Jul 8, 2006