Why are PC sales declining ? (Skybuck thoughts on it too)

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Skybuck Flying, Apr 18, 2013.

  1. "Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
    "
    You got that wrong, the Titan video card was named after the
    supercomputer, to take advantage of the marketing potential from Nvidia
    being put into that supercomputer. Interestingly, that same computer has
    CPU's made by Nvidia's main rival, AMD. Both could've taken advantage of
    Titan as a marketing tool.

    Yousuf Khan
    "

    I know that... but look at it this way:

    What is that super computer without the titan graphics card ? Probably not
    much.

    So it's the graphics card that probably gives it the most of it's processing
    power.

    Correct me if I am wrong ;) :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Apr 22, 2013

  2. Thanks Skybuck, At the moment I'm eyeing an older machine here at
    work. Maybe I can just upgrade to a better video card for my son.
    It'd be useful for him to get his head inside hardware of a computer
    too...

    George H.

    George Herold, Apr 22, 2013

  3. Skybuck Flying

    Paul Guest

    If you're going to use Windows 7 or Windows 8, there should be
    a downloadable "Upgrade Assistant" or "Upgrade Advisor", which
    will note any issues. These generally require some version of
    ..NET to be installed, so if they don't run, that would be
    the reason.

    W7UpgradeAdvisor (to check existing apps).
    "make sure .NET Framework 2.0 is installed..."

    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=20

    Checking whether W8 will work. Not sure what version of .NET
    this one needs. (Programs without .NET detection, die with a
    "mscoree" dependency, for software that is too dumb to check.)

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

    To run Win8 x32 or x64, first, you need a processor of the
    appropriate instruction set. If you wanted to run the x64 version
    (machine has more than 4GB installed), then the processor would
    have to support the x64 instructions. (Microsoft doesn't allow
    desktop OSes to use PAE in a way that extends past 4GB, for program
    usage. Only drivers can use PAE on x32, above 4GB.)

    The next requirement for Win8, is the CPU must support NX/XD.
    That means the processor must be more modern, than the last P4
    processors they'd made. The P4 I have, doesn't have XD, so I
    can't run Windows 8. I could probably run Windows 7 x32 on it.
    On the AMD side, probably an S939, AM2 or later would be OK.
    The advisor software from Microsoft should be able to figure this
    out.

    If you had some old P3 machine, then that probably wouldn't be
    a good candidate.

    Windows 7 could benefit from having around 2GB of memory. That
    would be a comfortable starting point. It will run on less than
    that, but with slight performance impact. More than 2GB, you'd
    probably be better off with an x64 OS.

    An x64 OS install, won't run 16 bit software. That might include
    the installer from some of the older games. If you have some
    crusty old games in your collection, that might be a potential
    issue with an x64 OS install. If the games are 2013 releases,
    there should not be a problem.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 22, 2013
  4. Skybuck Flying

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    My only point was which came first, the supercomputer or the video card?
    It was the supercomputer. The video cards inside the supercomputer are
    actually not Titans, but it's their business version, the Fermis.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Apr 23, 2013

  5. Actually the problem is the drivers. 32-bit WS has supported LME
    (Large Memory Enabled) drivers for quite some time - and still does.
    Basically LME driver support was so horrible for workstation-type
    hardware, that it got turned off. Which had the added simplification
    of not adding a third type of driver needing to be supported in
    consumer space.

    But other than some type of bank switching (AWE in Windows), 4GB is a
    hardware per-address space limit on x86-32.

    I can't give you an exact count, but the latter Prescott P4 spins
    supported NX.

    If you're using Windows, the "Pro" versions of Vista/Win7/Win8 allow
    you to use XP Mode, which is a canned 32-bit XP VM, for both 32 and 64
    bit versions of the OS. You can do the same thing with a bit more
    effort on other systems.

    Robert Wessel, Apr 24, 2013
  6. Skybuck Flying

    Paul Guest

    I don't think WinXP Mode works on Windows 8.

    Windows 8 blacklists Windows Virtual PC, so you can't install it.
    (Well, you can install it, but you get a dialog when you go to run it.)
    I doubt you can install VPC2007 either. On Windows 8, the available
    Microsoft solution is Hyper-V, and that won't install without SLAT (EPT).
    (Hyper-V was included on my copy of Windows 8, but it refused to install.)
    And even if you install Hyper-V, chances are the WinXP Mode VM won't
    run there.

    WinXP Mode works in Windows 7. At least we know that works.

    And it didn't have to be done that way. Someone at
    Microsoft was overly clever. I wish I could figure
    out their thinking sometimes. (It reminds me of a few
    articles recently, where the article authors dreamed that
    Microsoft cared what customers thought. Hilarious. What
    comes out of Microsoft, in terms of feature set, is
    pure "corporate randomness". Opposing forces within
    the company crunch together, and the waste products
    of the collision, are what we buy.)

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 24, 2013
  7. Sort of. It's xposted to next Wednesday and back.

    Stanley Daniel de Liver, Apr 28, 2013
  8. Skybuck Flying

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Jeff Liebermann wrote:
    [...]
    I have a bunch of old IBM ThinkPads equipped with Pentium M CPUs that use
    very little power yet are powerful - preferably R40/51s, they're quite
    common, cheap and reliable.

    (Use R52s if you want to load up on RAM as they use DDR2, much cheaper than
    the former's DDR. The T-series are thin'n'light and, as such more prone to
    failure with age. Either due to planar flexing or due to the fans being so
    thin / hi-revving.)

    Just my 2c. I have a Compaq SFF desktop that uses a PIII 1.13GHz Tualatin
    (2GB RAM) and I'm amazed at how slow it is compared to one of the
    above-mentioned ThinkPads. So much so that it's due to go to the dump as
    it's worth next-to-nothing. I've not even had takers when I offered it
    free - except for people who wanted to rob the RAM and sell it on ebay. I
    can do that, I'd just rather see it getting used. <shrug>
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)