Why are Shuttles promoted as "quiet" computers?

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by Flaig, Mar 1, 2005.

  1. Flaig

    Flaig Guest

    My old HP Tower was a lot quieter than this 8300 G5 I had built by
    Shuttle. I've had it for a few months now and thought I would just get
    used to it because my first computer was louder than this but it feels
    like going backward.

    I think its a really nice computer, but there ought to be truth in
    advertising. They should just focus on its other qualities and not snow
    people with the "quiet" jazz. Had I known how it really sounded, I
    probably would've opted for a different SFF solution. I guess that's
    why they fudge that stuff, they want your business.

    There's no rattle or ball bearing weirdness, just the constant fan
    sound. It's too small for sound dampening inside the case.

    Any ideas?

    Flaig

    Flaig, Mar 1, 2005

  2. Flaig

    dg Guest

    My shuttles are pretty damn quiet. When you turn them on, the fans roar up
    to full speed but after a second or two they quiet down to a low level.
    Perhaps you have a CMOS setting that sets fan speed to auto instead of full
    boar all the time?

    --Dan

    dg, Mar 1, 2005

  3. Flaig

    Flaig Guest

    I have my fan set for "low" and have tried "ultra-low" but things got a
    little warm with that setting. I'm not speaking of the loud gush of fan
    noise at boot up. Mine does get quieter after that but is still loud
    enough for me to hear in the next room.

    Do you have onboard graphics or separate graphics cards? I'll probably
    take the cover off one of these days and turn it on without the cover
    and try to detect the noisiest fan.

    Flaig, Mar 1, 2005
  5. Flaig

    dg Guest

    I use an extra video card, it has no fan on it however. Actually, I think
    my particular shuttles have only 2 fans in them. 1 for the processor and 1
    in the power supply, but the power supply may have more than 1 fan.

    --Dan

    dg, Mar 1, 2005
  6. Flaig

    Markku Ojala Guest

    Mine is rather noisy too. The noise is maybe a bit softer with the lid
    off. Most of the noise is generated from my two 6B200M0 (DiamondMax10
    or whatever) harddisks, and from the fan of the graphics adapter,
    Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro Atlantis (who invents these product names!).
    I once plucked each noise-device out one by one to map who's who in the
    soundscape, and with the plug pulled from the disks and that graphics
    adapter's fan, there was barely any sound audible. On the other hand,
    which computer ever made a lot of sound with without a harddisk?

    This is an GN95G5V2, for the record. Housemates have a couple of
    Shuttle's too, and we share these views. I think mine is the noisiest,
    for i have to disks.
    LOL! This hardly is news to anyone, in the venture-capitalistic era of
    our times.
    There are n+1 tricks one can try. Other's have, since the dawn of time,
    tackled with this.
    ..mace --- 0102+ ++

    Markku Ojala, Mar 2, 2005
  7. My new MSI graphics card said something about it being silent, but if
    you look at the small print it means that it's <29db, which is a lot.

    petermcmillan_uk, Mar 2, 2005
  8. Flaig

    Flaig Guest

    I am starting to suspect the graphics card as the noisiest. From the
    diagrams I've seen of the insides, the pci express slot is on the side
    of the comp facing towards me. I saw some pics on one guy's site where
    he had taken the fan off his graphics card and screwed a big heat sink
    into it.

    I'm not much of a modder. I've only ever upgraded the ram and one time
    put in a scsi card in an early computer. That has been the sum of my
    tinkering around with the inner guts of computers.

    My Dell at work is quiet as can be but I don't want a box that big at
    home.

    Flaig, Mar 2, 2005
  9. Flaig

    Flaig Guest

    That's pretty quiet compared to most Shuttles.

    At least the cover is easy to take off. I'm busy this weekend but plan
    to take a look inside soon and have it run with the lid off to see
    where most of the noise comes from.

    Flaig, Mar 2, 2005
  10. Flaig

    Guest Guest

    It would seem that it depends on the model you get. I bought a SB52G2
    (which I run with a Celeron 2.4) which is really very quiet indeed.
    From this experience I thought that perhaps all the Shuttles would be
    about as quiet as each other. So when, a few weeks, later I came
    across a Celeron D320 cheap, I bought another Shuttle to go with it. I
    plumped for a SB61G2V3 as it would take the Celeron D320.
    Unfortunately, to my surprise, it was a hell of a lot more noisy than
    the SB52G2. I've since changed the cooling fan and that has improved
    things a bit but it is still nowhere near as quiet as my first
    machine.

    Looking back, I would have been better off just buying another older
    Celeron and getting another SB52G2 but it was too late once I'd bought
    it.

    I suppose its a case of pot luck.

    NO SPAM.

    Guest, Mar 2, 2005
  11. Flaig

    Flaig Guest

    I also now wish I had made a different choice of model. I do like my
    shuttle, don't get me wrong. In the summer when my window air
    conditioner is on I won't notice the Shuttle fan noise at all. I often
    put the tv on or music on so that I hear something more pleasant than
    fan noise. At least it is not a high pitched whine like one of my
    earlier computers and I know the difference between smooth fan noise
    and the kind where the bearings are awry.

    Flaig, Mar 3, 2005
  12. Flaig

    Marie Guest

    On my SB75G2, the fan making the most noise is my ATI AIW card. Where did
    you have your Dell, on the floor? Or do did you have it besides your
    monitor like most people have thier Shuttles?

    ms

    Marie, Mar 3, 2005
  13. Flaig

    Markku Ojala Guest

    Try pulling out power cord of the graphics adapter's fan, and turn the
    computer back on for a little while. Then you'll know. Graphics cards
    can indeed be the cause of quite a lot of hum these days.
    Yep, passive cooling. Make sure you've got some program to monitor the
    temperature within the computer when you change cooling systems, so if
    things start getting too warm, you can switch back. SpeedFan[0] is
    quite good, and popular too. Run it some time before making any changes
    in the computer, so you'll get the hang of what the temperatures you're
    working from. My sensors report somewhere between 37C and 45C. I don't
    know exactly which sensor represents which sensor, as i've explained in
    There's nothing to it. Just be gentle (no need to remind you of that,
    i'm sure), take some grounding precautions and don't touch the computer
    insides while it's turned on.

    [0] available, free of charge, at http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

    ..mace --- bötro

    Markku Ojala, Mar 3, 2005
  14. Flaig

    Flaig Guest

    I had downloaded the XPC Tools software but can't really figure out how
    to use is. The help file is too cryptic. I don't think it was written
    by someone who's first language is English. It does at least show me
    what temperatures the comp and cpu are at and gives the rpm of 2 fans.
    I know which is the power supply fan but don't know what an n.b. fan
    is.

    I will check out this speed fan. thanks for the tip.

    I have gone into the bios and set the power supply fan there to low. I
    had it on ultra-low but that did not seem to keep the pc cool enough.

    I tend to err on the side of caution so I don't think I'll be trading
    the vid card fan for a heatsink. At least the sound isn't high pitched.

    Flaig, Mar 3, 2005
  15. Flaig

    ytrewq Guest

    If performance would be OK, consider a fanless graphic card like ATI 9600 by
    Saphire.
    ==================

    ytrewq, Mar 10, 2005
  16. Flaig

    Flaig Guest

    My Dell is at work, and my home computer was not on the floor.

    If I put the shuttle on the floor I will need to develop ape length
    arms. I want to reach the dvd drive as needed.

    I will need to find someone to mod the graphics fan for me. I paid too
    much for the card to just yank it out.

    Flaig, Mar 16, 2005
  17. Flaig

    Evert Meulie Guest

    Do like I did: put your Shuttle on its box... ;-)

    Under my desk: box of Shuttle SB81P, Shuttle SB81P, Shuttle SB62G2. A
    nice stack of 3 'units' that fits great! ;-)

    Greetz,
    Evert

    Evert Meulie, Mar 18, 2005
  18. Flaig

    Flaig Guest

    I think it may be better for me to just get a passively cooled graphics
    card and hope that i can find someone who'd like to buy the one I have
    now.

    The main reason I don't want to put it under the desk is that then I'd
    have to decide on which of the tons of stuff under the desk to put on
    top of it. I have reams of paper, external drives and so forth. I have
    managed to fill most every inch of my work space with something.

    Flaig, Mar 19, 2005
  19. Flaig

    x Guest

    I thought my Shuttle was noisy, so I unplugged each component (and each
    fan on each component) separately today and I narrowed it down to 2
    things (neither can be blamed on Shuttle):

    1. fan on video card (so I bought a cheap replacement "PowerColor" card
    that uses a heatsink)

    2. my old Maxtor HD makes a continuous "whining" noise. So I'll replace
    that with a newer HD.

    With those problems resolved it's a very quite PC (even though it has a
    fan on the Northbridge - I may replace that with a Zalman heatsink
    eventually).

    x, Mar 20, 2005