Why can I burn more to CD via Toast than the Finder?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Slipface, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. Slipface

    Slipface Guest

    Gang,
    I popped in a blank CD-R today, and drug some files over to it. I had
    checked the folder that the files were in and it said the size was
    "687.6MB (720,379,033 bytes)"

    No problem, the CD says it's a 700MB disk. But I was greeted with a
    message saying I had too much to fit on the disk.

    So I opened Toast, clicked the Data option (which I had been using for
    this sort of thing up to now) and drug the same set of files over to
    it, and clicked "burn." It burned and verified and all was good.

    So what's the deal with the finder not allowing me to burn the files to
    the disc, when it worked just fine in Toast? In Toast, the window says
    something like "Mac Extended or Windows Hybrid disc." Is the Finder
    formatting it differently, in such a way as to reduce the amount of
    space available?

    Also, why did the file size indicate 687.7 million bytes, but with
    720.4 million bytes in parentheses?

    TIA!
    _dennis

    Slipface, Dec 3, 2003