    when it comes to fast user switching?

    TIA,
    _dennis

    Slipface, Dec 1, 2003

  2. This might be related to iTunes sharing. Do you have that turned on in
    iTunes preferences? If so, does disabling it change anything w/r/t fast
    user switching?

    Tom Harrington, Dec 1, 2003

  3. Slipface

    Slipface Guest

    No, it's not turned on.

    I went ahead and turned it on to see if it would fix the problem. It
    told me I had to enable a certain port that was being blocked by the
    (built-in) firewall. So I did that, restarted iTunes as instructed,
    then switched over to the other user, and still no luck. It literally
    says to have the other user quit iTunes before trying to run it there.

    Grr.

    _dennis

    Slipface, Dec 3, 2003
  4. What you can do is edit the Info.plist file inside the iTunes bundle, and
    change the LSMultipleInstancesProhibited key from true to false. Then
    delete the LaunchServices cache file
    (/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.6B.csstore here), log
    everyone out, and you should be good to go. When switching, iTunes will
    pause if it is being switched out, but that seems pretty acceptable to me.

    Fred

    Frederick Cheung, Dec 3, 2003
  5. Slipface

    Simon Slavin Guest

    iTunes talks directly to the CD drive: it grabs it and stops
    other applications using it. So the second one can't get hold
    of the drive and refuses to run.

    Simon Slavin, Dec 3, 2003
  6. Slipface

    Slipface Guest

    Wow, thanks. So I take it that this isn't a bug, but just the way
    iTunes runs. Too bad they didn't make mention of the possibility of
    exceptions in the documents about fast user switching (including the
    naming of iTunes as an example--Apple certainly knew about it).

    Your solution worries me just a bit, for lack of experience with these
    sorts of things. It reminds me of "ResEdit" hacks, which always come
    with warnings about working on copies of files to avoid
    catastrophes--which is why I was never brave enough to ever try using
    ResEdit ;-)

    As far as pausing, that shouldn't be a problem. I assume it won't be
    playing while switching, but it might be running idly.

    _dennis

    Slipface, Dec 4, 2003
  7. Slipface

    Guest Guest

    That's an unfortunate bit of programming. Just because iTunes
    can't get hold of the drive doesn't mean that it's useless or
    shouldn't be able to run. There's no reason that the second
    user shouldn't be able to (1) play music; (2) buy music from
    ITMS; or (3) sync up his iPod.

    Oh well. It's not a crisis, and we're still way better off
    now, with fast-user-switching, even with limitations like this,
    than we were before it.

    Guest, Dec 4, 2003