  1. jt august

    Jon Guest

    Thanks! :)

    Jon, Jun 21, 2007

  2. jt august

    Wes Groleau Guest

    You're welcome. Downside is this would make Usenet
    far less entertaining.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed
    all the way home in the back seat of the car. His father asked him
    three times what was wrong. Finally, the boy replied, "That preacher
    said he wanted us brought up in a Christian home, and I wanted to
    stay with you guys."

    Wes Groleau, Jun 21, 2007

  3. jt august

    David C. Guest

    On my 10.4.10 system, it appears to choose extension over type code for
    identifying the file's type (but not always - see below), but will
    prefer the creator over the extension for figuring out what application
    to open it with.

    Here's the test I ran:

    1: Create a new document in Graphic Converter. Scribble somthing onto
    the image and save it as 'foo.gif'
    2: Double-click it in the Finder, and Preview opens with the image
    3: From a terminal session, type "GetFileInfo foo.gif" to see the info.
    The type is "GIFf" and the creator is "GKON".
    4: Now, from the terminal, rename the file to eliminate the extension
    (mv foo.gif foo). Be sure to do this from the terminal. If you do
    it from the Finder, the file will retain a (now hidden) .gif
    extension.
    5: Do a "get info" from the Finder. Note that the type is still
    "Graphics Interchange Format Image". A double-click will launch
    Preview.
    6: Back at the Terminal, rename it again to a bogus extension, like
    ".dustPuppy" (mv foo foo.dustPuppy).
    7: Do another "get info" from the Finder. It's still "Graphic
    Interchange Forrmat Image" and double-click will still launch
    preview.
    8: Back at the terminal, rename it to an incompatible extension, like
    .txt (mv foo.dustPuppy foo.txt)
    9: Now, "get info" will indicate "ASCII graphic document", (and the
    mini-preview panel in the get-info window will render it as text) but
    it will be opened by Graphic Converter (the file's creator) instead
    of the usual text-file application (Emacs on my system.)

    Interestingly, if I rename it to ".doc", the Finder will identify it as
    a "GIF document", not "Microsoft Word document" (and not "Graphcs
    Interchange Format Image" either), and Grphic Converter will open it. I
    can only assume that multiple applications have registered different
    types for the ".doc" extension, and Mac OS is using the type/creator
    information to break the tie.

    -- David

    David C., Jul 1, 2007
  4. jt august

    David C. Guest

    But the relative priorities, when the different codes indicate different
    applications, has changed with different release of OS X. I know for a
    fact that 10.1's selection algorithm was different from what I see now
    in 10.4.

    -- David

    David C., Jul 1, 2007