    BETTER speced (much better) and also lower in cost than
    business class!

    Why is this?

    me, Oct 10, 2009

  2. me

    Gary Baldi Guest

    Why do you think?

    Most bods charged with the business of buying pcs for their company
    wouldnt know a Celeron from a stick of celery.

    Gary Baldi, Oct 10, 2009

  3. me

    me Guest

    Yep... I guess you are paying for three year warranty

    But look at the specs on this machine for the price!

    http://www.jr.com/gateway/pe/GTW_DX...are&SiteID=lw9MynSeamY-Y3DHsSoK/D21EUVwstEV8A

    I know this isn't a Gateway group but I cant get these
    kind of specs on a Dell Precision without spending
    almost $1k

    me, Oct 10, 2009
  4. me

    Ben Myers Guest

    In some cases, the workmanship and quality of parts in the business
    computers is better. In some cases, not. But there is the power of
    advertising to lead businesses to believe that the business computers
    are better. Typically the warranties and post-sales support are better,
    too.

    Having become somewhat expert in the various Dell black chassis Pentium
    4 products, I can tell you that there is zero difference in product
    quality among Dimension 8300/8400, Optiplex 270/280 and Precision
    360/370. ZERO DIFFERENCE! But the Precisions carried premium price
    tags for a slightly nicer looking chassis.

    The same holds for Latitude 100L vs Inspiron 1150 notebooks.

    But the Dimension 2350/2400/3000 were somewhat inferior to the Dimension
    4400/4500/4550 and Optiplex GX260 in the quality of the case. These had
    the small not-too-badly-built Mitac cases vs the
    plastic-like-alligator-skin covered clamshell cases.

    Unfortunately, nobody seems willing to pay for a full teardown and
    analysis of new computer products to determine product quality and
    maintainability, so we all suffer from lack of knwoledge until the
    computers have some sort of track record. Sorry, but Consumer Reports
    analyses, tho unbiased, are too superficial. And neither the computer
    trade rags nor the mainstream press are staffed and funded to do this.

    If you know anybody who wants to provide funding for a lab to do this
    sort of work, I can set up a lab, staff it, develop product criteria and
    provide quality written evaluations. But, oh, I keep forgetting. We
    have become the throwaway society. If it breaks, buy a new one.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 10, 2009
  5. Hi!
    Couple of reasons that I can think of:

    1. It's better made. What the business line systems lack in "golly gee whiz"
    features they make up for in build quality. Dell's home PCs (as an example)
    are very generic designs built down to a price. The OptiPlex business line
    are not (yet).

    2. Longer warranties are usually provided on business grade systems, and
    they get better support as well. If your company is big enough, it's very
    likely that you'll have a dedicated representative and maybe even a support
    team. Dell *does* provide better support to even the small business
    customers.

    3. Businesses have a higher expectancy of system lifetime in many cases. Of
    course, there are variations, but many businesses expect to run equipment
    until it doesn't run any more. Those that need this "feature" are willing to
    pay more for it.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Oct 11, 2009
  6. Hi!
    I'm not sure why you say that. A Dim2400, so long as you're aware of its
    limits, is actually a very good system. I don't know of any other $299
    system that isn't a complete piece of junk*. The only real problem they had
    was not enough installed RAM. If you don't care about SATA and AGP, you can
    still get along nicely with a Dim2400. It's a simple, well built computer
    that can do a lot for the money you pay.

    I've seen a lot of those Dim2400 systems in home and business applications..
    The Dim3000 doesn't appear to be as common. (I've seen two, and one of them
    belongs to me.)

    The MiTAC case holds up a lot better than the plastic clamshell in the face
    of abuse. It's also possible to repaint it easily if you have to.
    I'm not sure how you'd do that. The technology moves fast enough that doing
    this for most systems wouldn't be sensible. However, word does get around if
    a certain system isn't very good. Unfortunately, that means someone bought
    them and paid real money for a poor quality system.

    William

    * Not entirely true - there is this:
    http://greyghost.mooo.com/gc3500review/. It doesn't offer high performance,
    but the system itself is astoundingly well made.

    William R. Walsh, Oct 11, 2009
  7. me

    Tom Lake Guest

    When you buy a machine from the business unit, you get a USA support
    team and they actually have authority to make exchanges and dispatch
    on-site repair people. It's rare that I ever have to make more than one
    phone call to solve an issue when I buy Dell business computers.
    The main functions of the computers in my office are word processing,
    invoicing, and information retrieval off the Web. For these tasks, the
    power of the gaming computers is wasted anyway. In business, stability
    is much more important than power. Believe it or not, home users
    account for a small fraction of all computers sold. The number of
    computers bought for business is much greater.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Oct 11, 2009
  8. me

    Ben Myers Guest

    Perhaps I was echoing the laments of others in this newsgroup who
    complained about the cheapness of the Mitac case. I do not have any
    serious issues with it. As long as either the Mitac or the
    alligator-hide-plastic clamshell cases are well cared for, they hold up
    and they provide easy access for maintenance. For sure, the
    alligator-hide-plastic clamshell case was mor costly to produce, and
    part of the difference in price between clamshells and Mitacs was due to
    higher material and production costs, but the rest (and the largest
    difference) was due to marketing hype and product positioning. It's
    also ironic to note that Dell transitioned the Dimension 4000-series
    from clamshell 4550's to Mitac 4600's and 4700's.

    Re: product quality, the lastest Dell budget desktop Vostros and
    Inspirons have much lower overall product quality than the Dell Mitac
    boxes, IMHO.

    How to do teardown and analysis? Easy. Done it lots of times back in
    the day of the $2000-$3000 desktop systems. The methodology is simple
    and well-defined. Products really do not change that fast. The models
    more or less evolve... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 11, 2009
  9. me

    Phred Guest

    G'day mates,

    A few years ago I raised this question somewhere and the answer I got
    seemed pretty rational. Namely:

    Business models are built to standard specs so companies don't get any
    nasty surprises when they buy more units of the same model as they
    previously bought.

    Consumer units are built on price, so there's no guarantee you'll get
    the same brands of components from week to week -- if Dell puts out a
    tender for 10,000 750GB HDDs on Monday, they might end up with WD or
    whatever; an identical tender next Monday might get a better price for
    Dell from another mob. Similarly for the other bits and pieces.

    Then, as others have mentioned, there are the issues of warranty and
    support that probably favour business customers.

    Cheers, Phred.

    Phred, Oct 11, 2009
  10. me

    JayB Guest

    that gateway system has an AMD processor,
    and a slow one at that.
    not worth $339 to me.
    you can go on outlet and purchase some great systems in the $400 to $600
    range with 3 yr warranties.
    you can always easily add the missing components, like video cards and
    extra memory or bigger hard drive,
    but you cant upgrade the core components and quality.

    JayB, Oct 12, 2009