    it's good to go until I shut it off.

    Any ideas?

    CJ

    Chris Johnson, Jul 30, 2003

  2. A few more details would be helpful. How does it connect to the
    internet? How do you read email? Does it have a fixed IP ? Contents of
    /etc/hosts ? contents of /etc/resolv.conf ...

    I'm no networking expert, but know enough to know you have not
    supplied sufficient information for anyone to really help you.

    --
    Dr. David Kirkby,
    Senior Research Fellow,

    Dr. David Kirkby, Jul 31, 2003

  3. Connection is via DHCP, direct line from the HME0 port to a 4 port hub,
    sharing a cable modem with my PC. Mail client is Netscape, as is the
    browser.

    This configuration is as dead simple as I know how to make it. Once
    I run sys-unconfig and then reconfigure it, DHCP is enabled, no name
    service, and regional settings as appropriate. That's ALL. Straight
    to the hub, then to the cable modem.

    And the funny thing is, not too long ago, it always worked without
    monkeying with it...but I know now that the Solaris install I was using
    then was INCOMPLETE. The entire 2nd disc's contents had NOT been
    installed.

    CJ

    Chris Johnson, Jul 31, 2003
  4. Chris Johnson

    Yuan Guest

    I would replace the hub with a broadband router, most cable ISP only
    provide single dynamic/static IP at all time, if you have both of your
    machines
    on, your cable modem will not know which MAC to choose from.
    Does this problem happen all the time or only after someone use the PC
    to connect first?
    Has your ISP recently extand their DHCP server IP releasing time?
    If you don't want to change the hub into a router, you might want to release
    the ip manually after each use in case their DHCP server doesn't renew the
    client database too often.

    That's about as much as I know....

    Yuan

    Yuan, Aug 1, 2003
  5. Chris Johnson

    Andrew Kam Guest

    Good morning all!

    Post your technical queries to if you are based in
    the Asia Pacific region (including Australia and New Zealand). This is the
    Technical Support area. They should be able to point you in the right
    direction.

    However, unless you have a Cobalt machine - all other hardware and software
    support requires you to have a valid maintenance contract number with Sun.
    If you don't have one, be prepared to pay for time and materials costs.

    Best regards
    Andrew

    Andrew Kam, Aug 4, 2003