    be a redundant step. Is there a reason why root would need to
    reauthenticate, simply to install software on the local machine?

    Dave

    D. Fox, Sep 4, 2003

  2. D. Fox

    James Meiss Guest

    Okay, so this brings up another question: Can an installer put things in
    protected folders when you are logged in as an admin say (or perhaps
    root) without being authenticated? E.g. is the authentication just up to
    the installer, or is it required by the OS?

    James Meiss, Sep 4, 2003

  3. Yes.

    When someone creates an installer, they can choose whether to require
    authentication. In general, if someone's logged in as root, then the
    installer can put any file anywhere without additional authentication.
    However from the point of view of the person creating the installer,
    it's a really bad idea to make any assumptions about what privileges are
    available. So if the installer is going to affect privileged locations,
    it's going to ask you to authenticate.

    Tom Harrington, Sep 4, 2003
  4. D. Fox

    tristero Guest

    To prevent someone who's not you from installing software when you go
    to the restroom and forget to lock the screen (and the door). Pretty
    basic security stuff really.

    tristero, Sep 4, 2003
  5. D. Fox

    Peter KERR Guest

    Hmmm, I remember thinking how cute, must've back about 10.1.x
    I had logged in as root (wasn't up to speed with su, sudo ;-)
    and an Installer just flicked thru, it knew I was root.

    Mebbe they've tightened up on that one...

    Peter KERR, Sep 4, 2003
  6. D. Fox

    Simon Slavin Guest

    Because Mac OS X doesn't think you're logged-in as root.
    Because you can't log in to the GUI as root unless you do
    some very weird things. And if you're clever enough to
    know these weird things, you're assumed to be clever
    enough to think through the implications of what you're
    doing.

    Mac OS X is not intended to have a root user logged-in.
    Stop doing that and your problems will go away. The root
    user is too powerful to use casually.

    Simon Slavin, Sep 7, 2003