Why does Font Book font count vary from accoount to account? [follow-up]

Discussion in 'Apple' started by James L. Ryan, May 23, 2005.

  1. A few days ago I posted the following (Apologies for the repost, but due to a
    communication glitch I'm not sure this is posting is going into the same
    thread.)

    --------------------

    Here's the situation.....

    I'm running OS X 10.4.1 on the most recent model of an 17" AlBook.

    I have six accounts, one administrator and five user.

    The entirety of my font collection is contained within two folders and should
    be accessible from all accounts.

    System/Library/Fonts

    Library/Fonts

    There are no fonts installed that are visible only to a single account.

    What I don't understand is that if I open Font Book when signed on to the
    different accounts the displayed font count, the one shown at the bottom of
    the Font Book window, varies, the count being either 201, 212, or 213.
    According to my own calculations that number should be 213 for each and every
    account. The 213 is what I see in the administrative account and in one of
    the user accounts. The 201 is for one of the user accounts, and the 212 for
    the remaining three user accounts. About 90 percent of my connection time is
    in just one of the user accounts, and that one reports 212 as the font count.
    These counts remain consistent from session to session and through shutdowns.

    Any ideas/answers/suggestions?

    Many thanks in advance.

    --------------------

    Since making that posting I've determined the identities of those fonts that
    for reasons still not known fail to sometimes be included by Font Book when
    accessed from the different user accounts. What is interesting is that all of
    the identified fonts have one common characteristic -- they were part of the
    fonts included with Microsoft Office! I've checked the permissions of these
    fonts and they are the same as the permissions on all of the other fonts in

    /Library/Fonts

    which is the folder where all of the non-system fonts reside.

    Any thoughts or such anyone? I'm gerfluxed!

    James L. Ryan, May 23, 2005

  2. James L. Ryan

    matt neuburg Guest

    Aha. Now we're on firm ground - in the sense that there has been a good
    deal of discussion of this phenomenen (i.e. why don't certain fonts
    installed by Microsoft Office show up in Font Book sometimes). Check out
    this thread:

    <http://tinyurl.com/ch4k3>

    m.

    matt neuburg, May 24, 2005

  3. [responding to my query as to why some of the fonts included with Microsoft
    fail to be listed by Font Book, which fonts are missing varying from account
    to account]
    Matt,

    Many thanks for the reference. I've checked and there are no occurrences of a
    com.apple.ATS file in the preferences of any of my accounts. As I've stated
    in prior postings, the entirety of my fonts are global and are either in

    System/Library/Fonts

    or

    Library/Fonts

    and that none of the individual accounts have any fonts installed locally.

    So, there is still the remaining mystery as to why those verschluggener
    Microsoft fonts vary as to which accounts they will display in.

    Jim

    James L. Ryan, May 24, 2005
  4. James L. Ryan

    matt neuburg Guest

    Yes, there are. You're looking in the wrong place. They are in the
    Caches folder. - If you don't understand how to clear your font caches,
    an easy solution is to use Font Finagler. m.

    matt neuburg, May 24, 2005
  5. James & Matt:

    Thanks for this enlightening thread. Very useful!

    Vito

    Vito DiLuminoso, May 24, 2005
  6. [responding to my stating that I had no ATS files]
    Matt,

    Yoicks! I sure did have a bunch of ATS files once I looked in the right
    place. I took the full plunge and emptied out all of my caches. Now I get
    the same font count for each of the accounts!

    Many thanks for the patience.

    Jim

    James L. Ryan, May 24, 2005