    My Computer...System Properties shows my processor speed as 1.67GHz. I
    thought it was a 2.0GHz. Is my processor slower or is this just the way
    it reports it?

    toronado455, May 1, 2006

  2. What speed does the BIOS report at startup? are you sure you are
    running correct FSB?
    Mike.

    Michael Hawes, May 1, 2006

  3. toronado455

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Depends. Athlon <someting> <some number, call it n> will hace a clock
    speed slower than n. For example My Athlon 64 3700 runs ar 2.2GHz.
    OTOH it could be a 200MHz FSB speed CPU running with 166MHz FSB
    speed.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, May 2, 2006
  4. toronado455

    toronado455 Guest

    Well, the BIOS says Athlon (tm) 2000+ in one place at first, then
    something else flashes on the screen so fast I can't read it but I
    think it has more detailed processor speed info. Is it possible to
    freeze that stage of the start up so that I can read what it says?

    toronado455, May 3, 2006
  5. toronado455

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Yes, always nice to see these messages but be unable to read it.
    Incompetence at work! But an Atlon 2000+ is _not_ runnung at 2GHz,
    it is slower. The 2000MHz is an equivalent speed rating. Though
    it is pretty honest.

    According to the datasheet at www.amd.com, the fastest Athlon CPU
    was running at 1400MHz. However the CPUID string on Athlon XPs
    also reads "Athlon" and not "Athlon XP". For Athlon XP,
    the Processor Identification Guide says that a 2000+ is really
    running at 1667MHz (FSB 200MHz) or 1533MHz(FSB 266MHz). If you
    bought this as a "2000HMz" or "2GHz" system, then you were
    cheated, it seems.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, May 3, 2006
  6. toronado455

    toronado455 Guest

    Discovered PC Wizard 2006 which reports:

    AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+

    General Information :
    Performance Rating : PR-2000 (estimated)
    Real Frequency : 1666.7 MHz
    Multiplier : 12.5x

    Front Side Bus Information :
    FSB Frequency : 133.3 MHz
    Bus Speed : 266.7 MHz (DDR)

    Cool program.

    toronado455, May 4, 2006
  7. toronado455

    Roger Hunt Guest

    You may be able to catch it with the Pause key but it can be a
    frustrating business involving many re-boots.

    Roger Hunt, May 4, 2006
  8. toronado455

    Joe Pfeiffer Guest

    AMD's "speed rating" isn't its clock speed -- it's a claim as to its
    performance relative to an Intel clock speed. Their clock speeds are
    all quite a bit slower than their speed ratings.

    Joe Pfeiffer, May 4, 2006
  9. toronado455

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Indeed. Yes, that would be your CPU's stats.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, May 5, 2006