Why doesn't PC3200 DDR ECC Registered 1 GB memory work in s2460?

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by Dev Null, Apr 14, 2007.

  1. Dev Null

    Dev Null Guest

    I have tried two different brands of PC3200 DDR ECC Registered 1 GB
    memory.

    If I put in two sticks BIOS screen shows 2960 MB of RAM.

    Only one stick shows 1960 MB

    That ain't right.

    Memtest86+ starts O.K. but after 75% of the first test shows
    continuous errors. This happens at the same point for both brands.

    I have tried ECC disabled, ECC, and ECC with scrubbing.

    One manufacturer said the motherboard was not able to drive PC3200
    memory?!? Why would the motherboard have trouble with memory that's
    faster than the spec?

    I could not install WinXP with this RAM, I had to put in 2X 256MB
    unbuffered PC2700.

    Does anybody know what's going on?

    TIA

    Dev Null, Apr 14, 2007

  2. Dev Null

    lkboop Guest

    Motherboard?? First off the speed of the ram is always backwards
    compatible. Need to know motherboard type before one can make any
    statement about your problem.

    lkboop, Apr 15, 2007

  3. Dev Null

    BC Guest

    http://www.tyan.com/(A(jGLxWZKh6JiZ...NU41))/archive/support/html/memory_s2460.html

    Special Note:

    1. The TYAN Tiger MP (S2460) requires REGISTERED DDR MEMORY in order
    to POST.

    2. Please see the power supply special note.

    3. Some modules on the list above contain stacked DRAM parts (36
    chips per module). These parts have thermal limitations in some chassis
    configurations. It is advised to verify that your chassis configuration
    as adequate airflow to support stacked (36 chip) parts.
    *

    Hmm, "motherboard can't power RAM": maybe voltage not high enough for
    3200? Just looked, PC2100 is 2.5V, PC3200 is 2.6V usually, so, not a
    huge difference, but, might be enough....

    Maybe newer RAM can't be "read" by older chipset?

    Lots of PC2100 REG ECC RAM still for sale:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...CodeValue=526:7868&PropertyCodeValue=527:7871

    Hmm, check out last review here:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820145519

    Would recommend you pick memory from one of these, as looks like these
    are on compatibility list:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16820997001,N82E16820145306,N82E16820145519

    HTH

    BC

    BC, Apr 15, 2007
  4. Dev Null

    Dev Null Guest

    Thanks BC and Ikboop.

    I have a 600W power supply and the memory problems happen
    immediately so I don't think it's a temperature problem.

    It looks like the S2460 just can not drive the 2.6V memory. Frak!

    Dev Null, Apr 15, 2007