Why is AGP GeForce 6600 so much more than the PCI-E version?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Rob Nicholson, Dec 21, 2004.

  1. Simple question?

    Cheers, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Dec 21, 2004

  2. Rob Nicholson

    John Russell Guest

    Poor sales of PCI-e cards, extra complexity of AGP version?

    John Russell, Dec 21, 2004

  3. Rob Nicholson

    DaveL Guest

    More to do with supply and demand. Lot's of PCIe cards on the market. Not
    many buyers. Not many agp cards on the market, many buyers. We will have
    to wait it out or pay.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Dec 21, 2004
  4. Rob Nicholson

    Ken Marsh Guest

    #Simple question?

    The 6600 chipset was built for PCI-E, so there is an additional chip on
    the AGP version to bridge it to AGP. The bridge costs more money and
    imposes a slight performance penalty.

    Even still upgrading to a next generation GPU with very fast RAM and new
    graphics features can make it worthwhile, especially when you consider
    the extra cost of replacing an AGP motherboard, and probably the CPU
    with it.

    Ken.

    Ken Marsh, Dec 21, 2004
  5. Even still upgrading to a next generation GPU with very fast RAM and new
    That's where I'm at - I was going to upgrade my graphics card, mainly so I
    can have play some of the newer games over Christmas.

    But I'm also toying with a complete upgrade but I'd prefer to go to the AMD
    64 platform for which AGP is really the only solution right now.

    Rob Nicholson, Dec 22, 2004
  6. Rob Nicholson

    John Russell Guest

    Nforce4 motherboards are now available if you want PCI-e. If only it came
    with Soundstorm!

    John Russell, Dec 22, 2004
  7. Rob Nicholson

    John Russell Guest

    The 6600 chipset was built for PCI-E, so there is an additional chip on
    Not so. Any loss is due to manufacturers sticking to Nvidia's spec which
    reduces the memory speed compared to PCI-e, and hence performance. Many
    choose not too, or even put faster memory on the card. These benchmark the
    same as their PCI-e versions according to the web reviews I've seen.

    John Russell, Dec 22, 2004
  8. Nforce4 motherboards are now available if you want PCI-e. If only it came
    Yes, you're right - they are just starting to hit the stores here in the UK
    and aren't too expensive at around £120. Won't get it all sorted before
    Christmas now so might wait a month or so to see if they drop in price at
    bit and so some of you trailblazers can try out rev 1.0 of the board :)

    Cheers, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Dec 22, 2004
  9. Rob Nicholson

    Ken Marsh Guest

    Hi,

    #Not so. Any loss is due to manufacturers sticking to Nvidia's spec which
    #reduces the memory speed compared to PCI-e, and hence performance.

    In other words, it is so, unless you either overclock, or buy a factory
    overclock like BFG's or one with fast memory like Asus (for a small
    extra $$). I was speaking of the average 6600GT AGP card. Botique
    hardware makes (and breaks) its own rules.

    Ken.

    Ken Marsh, Dec 22, 2004
  10. Every 6600GT comes with at least 2ns memory chips, so 900Mhz is actually
    underclocking.

    Mirek

    Mirek Fídler, Dec 22, 2004
  11. Not an answer to your question but I have just ordered an Athlon 64
    3500+, an Nforce4 board with the Leadtek 6600GT and a gig of ram. Should
    arrive Friday. I tossed everything out to take this plunge.

    Besides, my old computer would be 4 years old in January and the time
    was right. However, on my old computer I went with RDRAM and thought
    then, this is the cat's meow. I hope I made the right choices this time
    around.

    Ron

    Rockin Ronnie, Dec 22, 2004
  12. Rob Nicholson

    John Russell Guest

    That's right, since one review I read said that 900mhz chips don't exist.

    John Russell, Dec 22, 2004