    phone bill.

    Any input much appreciated,

    schneki

    schneki, Jul 1, 2005

  2. schneki

    Quaoar Guest

    XP, except for XP64, does not recognize the AMD64 properly. Ignore what
    XP shows. The AMD utilities are OK.

    Quaoar, Jul 1, 2005

  3. schneki

    ChangeGuy Guest

    set your power profile to home/desktop. If you leave it at laptop/portable
    it will sometimes run at half the speed. You can check this with the cpu-z
    program. Run cpu-z with one power profile and see the mhz, then switch power
    profiles and you'll see the mhz change again

    ChangeGuy, Jul 1, 2005
  4. schneki

    ChrisC Guest

    Hi, "XP, except for XP64, does not recognize the AMD64 properly" where is
    the evidence to support that? I had XP on my desktop and it recognises my
    AMD64 perfectly, as does XP X64.
    schneki Have you got 'cool & quiet running?
    ChrisC

    ChrisC, Jul 1, 2005
  5. schneki

    Quaoar Guest

    The OP indicated that his AMD64-specific utilities were reporting the
    CPU speed correctly, but 32-bit XP System Properties was not. The OP is
    not running XP64. Taking the information at face value certainly
    indicates that there is a problem with XP Sytem Properties.

    In the initial distribution of AMD64 CPUs there were BIOSes that could
    not properly deal with the combo of the CPU and Windows XP SP1, and for
    some reason, SP2 was worse. BIOS updates, if available and applied,
    allowed the 32bit XP to properly recognize the CPU speed as reported in
    System Properties. Apparently, not all boards had the problem, not
    boards that had the problem had BIOS updates and not all users applied
    the BIOS updates if they were available.

    Having writ the above, the general tenor that the AMD64 CPU was god's
    gift to computer users overlooks the fact that there are/were teething
    problems with the CPU, mainboards, and 32-bit WinXP. There are still
    problems with WinXP64.

    Google: AMD64 windows speed for many forum postings discussing this
    problem, as well as others such as games also failing because of the
    erroneous XP CPU speed reporting.

    Quaoar, Jul 1, 2005