    Is the E7 so expensive, or are the RAS features of such limited use
    except in very large-scale systems, so that this makes sense?

    John Savard

    Quadibloc, Jan 20, 2012

  2. Quadibloc

    Mark F Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 13:42:59 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc
    <> wrote:

    > I was excited when I heard the news that the Xeon E7 chip would bring
    > to the x86 platfom the kind of RAS features that had previously only
    > been available for the Itanium (and, of course, other architectures
    > like SPARC and IBM mainframes).
    >
    > However, currently, in looking for servers, I find that the E7 is only
    > available in blade or rack servers, not in the humbler tower servers.
    > Is the E7 so expensive, or are the RAS features of such limited use
    > except in very large-scale systems, so that this makes sense?
    >
    > John Savard

    Intel Xeon Processor E7 Family:

    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...-processor-e7-family.html?iid=subhdr itc_xeon

    Click on: "See detailed product specifications"
    on the right under: "Product Specifications"

    and get to:

    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...-processor-e7-family.html?iid=subhdr itc_xeon
    "Intel Xeon Processor E7 Family Specifications",
    which shows a list of processors with some of the features. I don't
    know if the list is complete.

    I think the E7-28nn is for up to 2 sockets, which I think is what you
    want.

    I think E7-48nn are for up to 4 sockets, E7-88nn for up to 8
    sockets.

    Using www.froogle.com seems to indicate that the price depends mainly
    on the L3 cache size.

    I think about US$1500 to US$4500 depending on cache.
    (I've left out the 6 core stuff in the prices and features)

    Add about US$200 to US$400 for going from -2nnn to -8nnn

    I'm not sure what differences there are beyond:
    . number of cores (6, 8, 10)
    . threads per core (1,2=HyperThreading)
    . cache size (18MB, 24MB, 30MB)
    . speed (2GH to 2.67GHz)
    . low power optimization
    ( No = 105W or 130W , yes 95W)

    . maximum sockets (2,4,8)

    I don't know if any or all have RAS.

    This has a nice table of functionality and some prices for
    1000 units from about 2011 June:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/19/xeon_e7_analysis/page2.html
    "Xeon E7 servers run with the big dogs
    Gives chase to RISC and Itanium foxes"
    By Timothy Prickett Morgan
    Posted in Enterprise Tech, 19th June 2011 11:00 GMT

    Mark F, Jan 21, 2012