  1. andy

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    WRONG, they're covered with soot and unusable.

    Ron Reaugh, Sep 5, 2004

  2. andy

    andy Guest

    How can you be sure?

    a.

    andy, Sep 5, 2004

  3. andy

    Grinder Guest

    The platters are moving quite fast -- thousands of RPMs. When the heads
    crash they will generate generate debris above those rapidly moving
    platters. Where else would those particles come to rest?

    Grinder, Sep 5, 2004
  4. On those rapidly moving platters, right? Do you ever read your posts back?
    Anywhere *except* those rapidly moving platters, of course.
    They will be shot right into the casing walls where they may be swept by the
    rotating air into a particle filter.

    And btw, who cares what happens to the heads when you can worry about par-
    ticals that escape the particle filter when they shoot off those platters, right?

    Folkert Rienstra, Sep 5, 2004
  5. andy

    andy Guest

    But that still may not disable access to most of the data in a short period of
    time. According to Ontrack opening a disk in ordinary conditions (which I
    assume is even worse than those particles from head crash) usually shortens
    life of a disk from 100 to 1000 times - it doesn't kill all data on disk
    instantly.

    a.

    andy, Sep 6, 2004
  6. andy

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Ron Reaugh, Sep 6, 2004
  7.
    Folkert Rienstra, Sep 6, 2004
  8. andy

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Go ahead wacko...pull the cover from a >=60GB HD mfg in the last 2 years and
    let it sit there and run with the lid off in the average home
    environment...tell us all how long it lives. While it's goin watch it
    carefully...you might learn something..wear glasses.

    Ron Reaugh, Sep 8, 2004