    "Why should I allow Hollywood to tell me what I can or cannot do with hardware/software that I've bought and paid for?"

    You don't buy software...you license it.

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar, Sep 16, 2005

  2. Bruno

    Fred Mau Guest

    Well, there's no reason for MS not to behave this way. With IBM's OS/2
    essentially dead and buried, with Linux not gaining (or losing) any
    traction on the desktop, there's no incentive for them to act otherwise.

    Let's face it, if I were a 3rd party developer, my need for dealing with MS
    would be much greater than MS's need for dealing with me.

    I also suspect that some of XP's internal print drivers are merely
    carryovers from earlier OS's and haven't REALLY been tested. For instance,
    XP lists the "IBM Personal Pageprinter" but there's no way in hell that one
    of these would actually work under XP - it used a MicroChannel interface
    card for it's engine that only ever worked under DOS/Win3.1 or OS/2.

    - FM -

    Fred Mau, Sep 16, 2005

  3. Depends on the software. Any digital code is getting called software,
    but the basic old school definition limits this to programs, not data files.
    Most custom apps are owned for control reasons. Wouldn't want to have to
    ask permission of a third party to allow changes to key software design
    specifically for a company.

    KC

    Kevin Childers, Sep 16, 2005
  4. < Top-posting corrected. Please don't top-post on Usenet
    newsgroups! See this link for the reason why:

    http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost >

    That's as may be. Note that I included hardware in that reference.
    NO ONE tells me what I can or cannot do with my hardware, and I see
    hardware-based DRM as trying to do just that.

    In any case, I've spoken my piece. I believe S/P and PS2 ports are
    still valuable. They are all very well supported by still-useful legacy
    applications and OS's which may not support USB well, if at all.

    I don't agree that "legacy-free" is such a great idea. Period.
    That's all I was getting at.

    kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
    with surreal ports?"

    Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Sep 18, 2005
  5. Bruno

    Bill Guest

    Happy happy, joy joy

    More debate on top posting.

    Bill, Sep 18, 2005
  6. Your article has a major flaw that many of your belief use:

    "The next reason is that it is actually logical that the question should
    come before the answer. To quote a poster in another newsgroup:
    A. No.
    Q. Does top-posting make sense?"

    That is not an example of top posting.
    That resembles Jeopardy and that is all.
    If it were top posting, the question would be in a previous post.
    Since I have already read the previous post, I do not need to read it again
    before reading the answer.
    Some newsgroups top is correct, other bottom is the thing to do.
    In these Microsoft newsgroups, both top and bottom are acceptable as well as
    inline, please do not try to impose your position on others, you will fail.

    Jupiter Jones, Sep 18, 2005
  7. One minor correction, remove the word "Microsoft" in my last post.

    Jupiter Jones, Sep 18, 2005
  8. Bruno

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Agreed, but I do think that the correct protocol is for people to continue
    whatever type of posting is in use. If the first responder uses top posting,
    continue it. Same with bottom posting. It's when you mix the two that things
    get confusing....

    Reality is that both are used in every newsgroup and that ain't gonna
    change....

    Hank Arnold, Sep 19, 2005
  9. Hi!
    If it hasn't got legacy ports, then it is not capable or desirable in my
    eyes.

    They can have my IBM Model M keyboard when they pry it from my cold dead
    fingers.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Sep 21, 2005
  10. Hi!
    I think that is very well said, especially the bits about DRM in hardware.

    Every computer I own is going to run until it will run no more...anything
    else would be wasteful.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Sep 21, 2005
  11. Hi!
    Keep in mind that a lot of newer printers can emulate at least the IBM
    models.

    That said, I can say with a 100% straight face that I am currently using an
    IBM ProPrinter XL24E. I have at least one XP machine with the drivers loaded
    for the ProPrinter. Were it not for a devastating flood, I'd still have and
    use the Personal Pageprinter (4216-031)...it was nothing less than reliable
    and very, very cheap.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Sep 21, 2005
  12. Bruno

    Ben Myers Guest

    I'm with you on the IBM model M keyboard, clickety-click. There are PS/2-USB
    adapters, for the time when a new motherboard lacks a PS/2 keyboard port and you
    want to continue using the model M, of course... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 21, 2005
  13. Hi!
    That's not correct. The higher up models (4216-031, 030) had their own
    standard parallel, serial and even Apple ports on them. There was no card
    required with those.

    I ran my Personal PagePrinter under Windows 2000 SP4 nicely for quite some
    time...with an HP Vectra VL6/233 Pentium II computer.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Sep 21, 2005
  14. Bruno

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    You need to get out more.

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar, Sep 21, 2005
  15. Bruno

    Ben Myers Guest

    No, no, no! If you have not experienced the sheer delight of tapping on an IBM
    Model M keyboard, you have not lived! They are simply too well made for anyone,
    even the folks out there on the Pacific Rim or those low paid types in Outer
    Mongolia, to manufacture them any more.

    Way back when, maybe in the 486 or early Pentium days, Dell had a deal with
    Lexmark for Model M keyboards with the Dell logo on them. I have one of them
    here, too... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 21, 2005
  16. Bruno

    Fred Mau Guest

    I stand corrected. I've owned several IBM Personal Pageprinters (4216-020,
    IIRC) and they all needed the MCA card.

    It was a helluva printer in it's day, the forerunner of the venerable IBM-
    Lexmark 4019/4029/4039 series. It used a Ricoh laser engine as I recall.
    And the only thing that could even come close to it's speed and quality at
    the time was a Canon CX engine coupled with an Adobe "Redstone" board. (As
    packaged by QMS).

    - FM -

    Fred Mau, Sep 21, 2005
  17. Bruno

    Bill Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 01:41:07 GMT, "William R. Walsh"

    [. . .]

    Have you tried getting a 9 in TV and set it on a shelf right above an
    IBM selectric?

    Bill, Sep 21, 2005
  18. Bruno

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    I do remember IBM keyboards. I also remember Fizzie's tablets and Tinker
    Toys, all of which I enjoyed in their time but not enough to have someone
    "pry it from my cold dead fingers." I'm not stuck in the past.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    Ted Zieglar, Sep 21, 2005
  19. Bruno

    Tom Scales Guest

    Then you didn't truly appreciate IBM's keyboards. Nothing has even been
    like them. Amazing.

    Tom Scales, Sep 21, 2005
  20. Bruno

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    lol...I concede! (But I'm still not stuck in the past ;->)

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    Ted Zieglar, Sep 21, 2005