    would have to say that I vastly prefer just having the right ports on the
    system to begin with.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Sep 21, 2005

  2. Hi!
    Oh, maybe. :)

    Nothing else quite compares to the IBM Model M. Try one and you'll see what
    I mean.

    They aren't everyone's favorite, I'll grant you that much. However, they
    are:

    1. Almost impossible to break
    2. Solid and very reliable
    3. Easily cleaned (7/32 deep socket nut driver, four nuts, two case halves,
    keycaps, set the electronics aside and wash the rest...how many other
    keyboards can you name that may be cleaned that easily?)

    I also like the tactile feedback.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Sep 21, 2005

  3. Hi!
    Yeah, I think the 020s are much more common.
    Absolutely right on the engine.

    I was working at a grocery store that had an HP LaserJet 6-something just up
    and die one day. IIRC the fuser burned out. In a pinch I brought my 4216-031
    up there and put it into LaserJet emulation mode. The printer was used to
    print video rental tickets...a job it did more reliably than the HP unit
    ever managed.

    Once I got it back home I continued to use the 4216 until a bad basement
    flood ruined it. Someday I would certainly like to find another one.
    Printing with it was especially cheap--I had box after box of toner
    (original IBM brand, no less!) and at least two spare drums...all obtained
    for about $20 at an auction.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Sep 21, 2005
  4. Hi!
    :)

    Those IBM keyboards are good enough that I sold two whole boxes to a
    gentleman in Japan. I seem to remember that each box had 40 pounds worth of
    keyboards inside...

    Shipping was well over the $100 mark and the guy didn't even flinch at
    paying that.

    I'm not quite *that* crazy about 'em though...

    William

    William R. Walsh, Sep 21, 2005
  5. Bruno

    Ben Myers Guest

    I'm not stuck in the past, either. But if you touch type, there is nothing like
    it, except an IBM Selectric, which is REALLY in the past, and which was the
    design model for the IBM clickety-click Model M and the similar keyboards used
    on IBM 3270 terminals... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 22, 2005
  6. Bruno

    Ben Myers Guest

    Hmm! Maybe I better throw some in the dishwasher, too. I have several cartons
    of them, and they usually get cleaned and tested one at a time, for the people
    who appreciate a good keyboard. I've got my wife and two sons hooked on them,
    too... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 22, 2005
  7. Bruno

    Fred Mau Guest

    I gues I'mm the odd one out. My favorite keyboard is the Hewlett-Packard
    #C3758 that came with certain (pre-Compaq) Vectras and HP9000s. Every bit
    as rugged as the model M and quieter.

    As for DELL, Some of the early "QuietKey" models weren't so bad (But a
    distant second to the HP). Vastly superior to what they have today.

    - FM -

    Fred Mau, Sep 22, 2005
  8. Hi!
    I like those as well...they would easily be a second place choice. If for
    some reason an "M" isn't available or practical, these are nice. I have ones
    with and without Windows keys onboard. Some also have a "powering on
    computer" picture on the spacebar, but this only works on certain HP Vectra
    desktops FAIK. Some I got used and a few I bought new in the box.

    Those HP keyboards were made by Key Tronic the last I knew.
    Probably a third place choice for me. These were a decent 'board, but I had
    a lot of them develop funny behavior...desire to ignore keys, type the wrong
    letters or do other strange stuff.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Sep 22, 2005
  9. IBM keyboards have always been well regardrd (probably due to IBM's
    former Typewriter Division), but the Northgate (?) keyboards had a very
    good rep in the early 90's as well.

    Sparky Spartacus, Sep 22, 2005
  10. Hi!
    The technique works impressively well.

    However...one important note of caution! If you find a grey IBM Model M
    keyboard, ***keep it away from excessive heat***...these things will melt
    very easily. Even direct sunlight on an otherwise cool day will do these in.
    Use extreme caution in a dishwasher.

    I think the grey ones shipped with the PS/2 industrial line machines...but
    they also go well with other grey machines like the PC Server 5x0/7x0
    series.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Sep 23, 2005