    necessary to be able to connect to the Internet and browse???

    Thanks for any help

    Steve

    Steve, May 5, 2004

  2. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Sorry. Wrong Board. Creeps away...

    Steve

    Steve, May 5, 2004

  3. Steve

    Paul Guest

    I have seen claims that some providers authenticate via MAC address.
    If you change the hardware at your end, chances are the "free lunch"
    will stop working (unless you hack the MAC address, which is not the
    same thing as an IP address - MAC is confined to the wire from you
    to BT).

    Paul

    Paul, May 5, 2004
  4. Steve

    Ghostrider Guest

    If there is just a single user, WinXP probably created a
    "default" network logon that identifies the computer/user,
    especially if static IP's are involved. The identification
    could be the NIC's MAC and/or WinXP's SID.

    Ghostrider, May 5, 2004
  5. Steve

    Phil Guest

    There's no password because the form of authentication is the phone number
    of the line used for ADSL, and I think anybody trying to "hack" your
    connection would find it very difficult physically disconnecting your line
    from your address, and re-routing it to them...unlike 56k etc, ADSL is bound
    to the line you have it installed on.

    Phil, May 5, 2004