    others use three prong (Compaq)?
    Thanks,
    Idas

    Me, Sep 22, 2003

  2. Me

    Conor Turton Guest

    Compliance with the electrical regulations of target markets.

    --
    ________________________
    Conor Turton

    ICQ:31909763
    ________________________

    Conor Turton, Sep 22, 2003

  3. Me

    T. Guest

    No it is not a reason. It's only Compaq (and maybe some other firm) way to
    get a few extra $$$ from customers pocket.

    T.

    T., Sep 23, 2003
  4. Me

    George Mills Guest

    I think it's design choice. $$$ has nothing to do with it.

    George Mills, Sep 24, 2003
  5. Me

    T. Guest

    Oh really? 2-prong cable You can buy from various manufacturer so the price
    is low (<1$). 3-prong cable costs 8$ 'cos only few firms is providing it. Do
    You see the diffrence?

    T.

    T., Sep 24, 2003
  6. The three prong cables ARE more expensive, of course, but you cannot
    judge the cost of anything by the price that we pay when we buy one of
    them. Believe me, it's real different when you are HP or Compaq buying
    a million of them, with the ability to buy them anywhere in the world
    (China, Taiwan, Korea, etc.).

    Barry Watzman, Sep 25, 2003
  7. Me

    George Mills Guest

    Correct the difference is probably 10 cents vs 12 cents.

    It may be cheaper for them to stock just 1 cable for desktops and laptops.

    It could be many reasons they do this.

    I think the most important though is travel weight is higher for 3 prong.

    You can get 3 prongs anywhere. Are we talking about the same 3 prong. I have
    seen some laptops with the 2 prong (small round circles).
    3 prong (3 small circles) and the ones with the same cable you have on
    desktop pc's and monitors.

    Why they use the 3 prong (3 small circles) is strange. I think some dells do
    too.

    Although Dell has a cool adapter to make theirs a wall wart (no cable) and
    is good for travel weight and less clutter.

    George Mills, Sep 25, 2003