Why only a small shrink possible in Vista?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Dave, Nov 16, 2007.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I've got a Sony VGN-SZ4XWN/C laptop with Vista Ultimate. I want to
    upgrade the laptop to Solaris 10, but wish to keep an area for Vista on
    the disk. Currently Vista has 100% of the disk - there is no recovery
    partition on the disk, as I deleted that long ago.

    My plan was to shrink the 120 GB NTFS partition down to about half that,
    then install Solaris 10 on the other 60 GB and dual boot the laptop.

    When I try to resize the partition in Vista, it will allow me to shrink
    it by 17 GB. Considering there is over 70 GB of free space, I can't see
    why it will only let me shrink it by a mere 17 GB. What about the other
    53 GB? Why will Vista not give up most of that? I know there is a page
    file there (2 GB), but that is not a lot.

    Any suggestions as to why Vista will not give up more of the remaining
    space. Solaris will fit in 17 GB, but Solaris will be my main OS, so I
    don't want it to have such a small part of the disk.

    Dave, Nov 16, 2007

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    PS,
    I'm not using a 3rd party tool to shirk the partition, but the computer
    manager:

    Control Panel->System and Maintentance->Administrative tasks->Computer
    Management, then I select Storage and Disk Management in the Computer
    manager, and right-click and select "Shrink volume"

    Dave, Nov 16, 2007

  3. Dave

    John Doue Guest

    During the two or three days I was force to use Vista on my new machine
    before getting rid of it back to XP, I think I found the same using a
    third party Partioning Tool. I am curious to know the explanation ...
    One more reason, if I needed one, to throw Vista int the Trash bin.

    John Doue, Nov 16, 2007
  4. Dave

    Quaoar Guest

    Vista's reserved space for System Recovery is extremely large. Try
    disabling System Recovery, reboot, and see if you can make a smaller
    Vista partition.

    Quaoar, Nov 16, 2007
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Thank you, that has helped a lot, but I still have a problem. Previously
    I had 70 GB free, but could reduce it by 17 GB.

    I cleaned up the disk, reduced the paging file to 300 MB, disabled the
    system restore, and now I have 91 GB free, so the free space has
    increased by 20 GB.

    I am able to shrink it by 35 GB. But there is now 91 GB free, which
    still leaves 56 GB I can't seem to do anything with.

    So what can Vista be doing with the 56 GB it will not give up? I have a
    small page file, system restore disabled.

    Any suggestions?

    Dave, Nov 16, 2007
  6. Dave

    pj Guest

    Short answer: bloat

    Longer response: 1) Over the years Microsoft has compressed more of
    their executables (counting on faster CPUs and more RAM to handle
    on-the-fly decompression). They've now reached a point where the stuff
    isn't very compressible.

    2) Also, Microsoft insiders say that both XP and Vista have goodly
    chunks of unused, stub and test code that hasn't yet been cleaned out.
    Things might get a bit better when we see the second Service Pack -- say
    2009.

    I don't feel that XP is a stable OS and am still waiting for XP, SP-3. :)-|

    pj, Nov 16, 2007
  7. Dave

    Jerry Guest

    If you don't feel that XP is a stable OS, what OS are you using?

    Jerry, Nov 16, 2007
  8. Dave

    Quaoar Guest

    OK, there is the additional for Shadow Copies, Google: 'delete vista
    shadow copy' for info on how to do this.

    I don't know how Vista decides how much of available HD space it can
    give to a new partition. For example, does Vista have the capability of
    moving files from the physical end of the Vista partition to other free
    space inside the Vista partition to maximize free space for the new
    partition? Does Vista defragment files during repartitioning? Does it
    move the Master File Table? From what you are finding, it seems that
    Vista does a very simple repartitioning that does not include any of
    these steps. You might need a third-party partition manager to do more
    than Vista does.

    Quaoar, Nov 16, 2007
  9. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Why not consider switching to Solaris then, and forget M$ and their
    service packs?

    I've used Solaris on SPARC hardware for a very long time and find it far
    more stable and reliable than XP. I can't say I have much experience
    with Solaris on commodity PC hardware though. I think lack of drivers
    can be more an issue on commodity PCs, but when I booted the Solaris
    install DVD, it seemed to be OK on my Sony laptop. It has the drivers
    for my Nvida GeForce Go 7400 graphics chipset, it found my hard drive
    OK, the touchpad worked. But I would be a fool to think the drives will
    be there every bit of hardware.

    Solaris 10 is a free download, or Sun will for now at least even send
    you a free DVD of Solaris Express - no need to even pay the postage!!!
    (The Express version is more cutting edge, but potentially a bit less
    stable than main Solaris distribution.) Both are a free download, but
    only the Express can you get a free DVD sent to your house).

    http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp
    (main stable release)

    http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/solaris-express/get.jsp
    (Solaris express, potentially less stable, but will have better driver
    support).

    Make sure you download the x86 and not SPARC if you want to use on any
    laptop.

    BTW, the downloads for Solaris include both the 32 and 64-bit versions
    of the OS

    Dave, Nov 17, 2007
  10. Dave

    Peltio Guest

    Someone had the guts to write:
    It's because Windows (XP and Vista) place some unmovable files in the
    middle and near the end of its partition. Try a google search or MTF
    files. Ordinary defrag progs can't move those files and the shrinker
    won't let you resize the partition below the last file.

    Solution:
    1.) Temporarily disable and delete those files and the mechanism that
    create them
    2.) Use a third party defragger to move the other MTF files. The
    defragger should be capacble of running 'at boot', that is before
    windows starts to make those files unmovable. One such defragger is
    Perfect Disk 8: it has a 30 days free trial and I used to shrink my
    Vista partition.

    As for point 1) I solved by disabling the pagefile, the hibernation
    file, the shadow copy mechanism, and the boot error log. Most of these
    cna be disabled via the control panel/system manger tabs. Hibernation
    needs an admin prompt to issue the command powercfg -h off. (use on to
    turn it on again); there must be a similar command to reduce to zero
    the space for shadow copies. Google around and you'll find the
    solution.

    Don't forget to delete the hibernation and paging files under C:\ if
    they're still there.

    Once you've done this, run the defrag program with proper settings
    (defrag system files, and defrag free space so that you'll have every
    thing stuffed at the beginning of the disk).

    Then you'll be able to shrink all the free space you'd like.

    cheers,
    Peltio

    Peltio, Nov 17, 2007
  11. Dave

    pj Guest

    Usually Linux (SuSe) on my own Desktop. W98 or XP on my notebooks--
    workplace is big on Active-X and Exchange -- golden rule: when in
    doubt, examine the signature on the paycheck!

    (However that may be changing. The outfit is having some globalization
    issues with Windows and MS-Office and they are introducing some
    crossplatform applications.)

    Or, just for the fun of it, this OS -- pretty stable -- fairly secure!

    pj, Nov 17, 2007
  12. Dave

    Dave Guest

    How do you run it at boot - from a CD ??

    how do you get that admin prompt to issue powercfg -h off? When I try to
    run it, it gives an error about permission denined. I read somewhere
    that if one presses control, shift and enter to get an admin promt, but
    that does not work for me.

    Will do. I'd shrunk pagefile to 300 MB, but I will disable that completely.

    Dave, Nov 17, 2007
  13. Dave

    Peltio Guest

    Il giorno 17-11-07 alle ore 20.48.45, l'imputato Dave rilascio', di
    fronte ai testimoni di comp.sys.laptops, le seguenti compromettenti
    dichiarazioni prontamente archiviate con numero di protocollo:
    Nope, you run it from windows and then it'll ask to reboot the system.
    It will defrag the disk before actually entering in Vista (or in
    vista's GUI - I do not know what part of the OS - if any - it uses).
    I have a link to the command prompt on my desktop. I right click on it
    and choose "run as administrator".
    I guess it can be done on the link in the start menu too.

    You can turn it off after you've shrinked your partition.
    Actually, that worked for me since I have enough ram (2GB) not to make
    Vista crash without a pagefile. Perfect disk should be able to defrag
    and move the pagefile, it will just take longer to defrag if you leave
    it there. My other defragger (auslogic) IIRC was not able to move the
    pagefile and that's why I disabled it before defragging.

    cheers,
    Peltio

    --
    Ma cosa studieranno mai al MIT? Scopri e scarica il materiale di
    centinaia di corsi universitari dal sito Opencourseware del

    Peltio, Nov 18, 2007
  14. Dave

    Peltio Guest

    Il giorno 18-11-07 alle ore 02.29.35, l'imputato Peltio rilascio', di
    fronte ai testimoni di comp.sys.laptops, le seguenti compromettenti
    dichiarazioni prontamente archiviate con numero di protocollo:
    ok, that would be "shrunk"...
    :)

    Peltio, Nov 18, 2007
  15. Dave

    Neill Currie Guest

    If you
    start orb
    all programs
    accessories
    right click on command prompt

    you get the highest priviledge

    --
    Neill Currie
    Hillsborough

    Blog:
    http://blogericious.blogspot.com/

    "" how do you get that admin prompt to issue powercfg -h off? When I try to

    Neill Currie, Nov 18, 2007