Why was CPU temp detection modified in BIOS?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Miles, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. Miles

    Miles Guest

    When I first built this K7N2-L system, I was, like many others with the
    same board, concerned to see my CPU temperature rising as high as 60°C!

    However after checking in this group, I found out that the temp reported
    was the actual diode on the chip and not from a socket thermistor on the
    board, e.g. http://tinyurl.com/hlin - this explanation seems perfectly
    logical to me, and my mind was put at rest.

    Since revision 3.4, the new BIOS had "modified CPU temperature
    detection" (i.e. the reported figures are reduced).

    Is this because:
    A: the original (BIOS 3.3) figures really were reported as being higher
    than the actual CPU core temps, or
    B: users were getting worried seeing the "real" core temp of the CPU, so
    it was decided to make the BIOS give artificially lower readings to be
    more in line with temps reported by other measurement methods.

    Miles, Jul 21, 2003

  2. Miles

    Nero Guest

    No,it's a screw up in the later BIOS updates.
    There is a bug,problem.........with the later Bios versions reporting the
    CPU temp and case temp.
    When the cpu temp is 40c+ it reads as 28-30.
    Get a front mounted Temp display for the case with thermal
    diodes(sensors)that mount in the case and at the CPU.
    Set your cpu temp warning in the bios to 60 or 70c otherwise the pc will
    refuse to boot.
    email me if you need to know anything about the K7N2 boards.

    Nero, Jul 22, 2003

  3. Miles

    Doughnut Guest

    Nero,

    so would you say with the later bios's that the cpu temp for the diode is
    correct ? I know before i updated from v1.2 on my k7n2gLisr that it was
    about 20c higher.
    Im still waiting for them to fix the ati card issue so it boots ok and
    brings the monitor to life.

    cheers
    doughnut

    Doughnut, Jul 22, 2003