Why, why, why... ATI?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by /mel/, Jan 6, 2005.

  1. /mel/

    /mel/ Guest

    I swore that after the AIW8500 I'd not buy another ATI card - by the time I
    got that working properly it was obsolete. But I ignored my own advice, and
    now I'm suffering for it.

    I briefly had an AIW9800SE, which was okay but which is being returned
    (again) as it was supplied in error (but that's another story) when I
    ordered an AIW9800Pro. That worked okay.

    Now that I finally have the AIW9800Pro.... ooh, the average frame rate in
    HL2 is doubled... and yet so is the stuttering! As for the TV, well, that
    conflict in DirectX9.0b that screwed everyone with PAL tuners? Sure, it was
    fixed in DirectX9.0c, but it would appear that Windows Media Encoder breaks
    it again, and the later MMC releases seem to require WME. I could continue
    to use MMC8.1, but the audio is flaky, and the farting while switching
    channels is especially off-putting, particularly when half the time it
    either continues to fart, or there's no audio at all. Oh, and I can't get
    DVD MMC8.1, because it won't recognise the serial number of the new CD.

    I'm just about ready to give up. It's not even as though it's an old
    installation of XP - it's pretty virginal actually. Is it really too much to
    expect these things to work out of the box? Okay, systems these days are
    complex, and unreliability is a function of complexity - I'm well aware that
    not all variations of hardware and software can be tested and verified. But
    there's nothing special about my system! It should bloody well work!

    Fecking grrr. I could have spent last night in the pub instead, and I should
    have done.

    /mel/

    /mel/, Jan 6, 2005

  2. /mel/

    DaveL Guest

    Are you saying the stuttering in HL2 increased when all you did was replace
    a 9800se with a 9800pro? I have noticed different amounts of stuttering
    depending on what level I was playing in the game, ie everything was ok till
    I got to "Follow Freeman". Did you test on the same level/area?

    DaveL

    DaveL, Jan 6, 2005

  3. /mel/

    JLC Guest

    I hear so many complaints about ATI and their AIW cards I wonder why people
    buy them. They cost a lot more then the standard card and for less then $35
    you can buy a decent TV turner card.
    I have a 9800Pro and I love my card, and I've always had a stand alone TV
    card in my PC for years. I have a cheap Hauppauge WinTV that I got for $24 3
    years ago and I love the thing. It works great and have never had a problem
    with conflicts or bugs. Save yourself a lot of grief and stick to the
    standard ATI cards. JLC

    JLC, Jan 6, 2005
  4. /mel/

    J. Clarke Guest

    Have you tried the various corrective actions recommended by Valve?
    Have you tried the hotfix
    Computers, Bah, Humbug.

    J. Clarke, Jan 6, 2005
  5. /mel/

    chuckk Guest

    What support chipset ? Some of the problems may be support chipset related.

    chuckk, Jan 6, 2005
  6. /mel/

    /mel/ Guest

    AMD64, SIS755+964, chipset drivers updated just weeks ago.

    /mel/, Jan 8, 2005
  7. /mel/

    /mel/ Guest

    Yep. I'm not so concerned about this issue - to be honest I'm fairly bored
    with HL2 now so though I'll finish it I'm more bothered about the TV
    problems.
    Only applicable to DX9.0b, not c, and there seem to be no fixes for WME9.
    So, for the moment I'm doing without WME9, though I'll look into installing
    it and then copying over the old tuner codec.
    Absolutely.

    /mel/, Jan 8, 2005
  8. /mel/

    /mel/ Guest

    Ah, well when I bought the AIW8500 I didn't stop to consider this, and now
    I'm caught in the loop.
    To be fair I used to have just as many issues with my Hauppauge WinTV card,
    though that was early days. Again it was a case of the hardware being great
    but the software being bloody awful. I do still have my WinTV card lying
    around soemwhere actually... hmmm....

    /mel/, Jan 8, 2005
  9. /mel/

    /mel/ Guest

    Yep, same levels - those just before "Stand Around Looking Gormless And
    Getting In The Way Of Freeman".

    =:-/

    /mel/, Jan 8, 2005
  10. /mel/

    J. Clarke Guest

    Did you _try_ it or just assume that it didn't help DX9c?

    J. Clarke, Jan 8, 2005
  11. /mel/

    /mel/ Guest

    Tried it - won't install over the top of DX9c - I'll have to try it
    manually, which is what I'm in the process of doing now. Thank feck for
    Drive Image.

    /mel/, Jan 8, 2005
  12. /mel/

    JLC Guest

    LOL! This is how I feel about the "squad" levels. I was having a great time
    with the game until I had to start dealing with the moron AI of my squad.
    It's so fun to be getting shot at and have a stupid squad member blocking my
    way. You tell them to go somewhere, yet as soon as you move they come right
    back to you and say "Let's follow Freeman". I know this is supposed to be
    this breakthrough game that is just so fantastic, but for me Riddick PC was
    a much richer gaming experience. I just finished Riddick yesterday and went
    back to HL2 and the game is driving me nuts. The load times are so long
    (Riddick has some of the fastest load times I've ever seen) and the game
    still stutters even after all the patches and fixes I've tried (Riddick ran
    smooth as butter and looked just as good IMHO) I just wish Valve had left
    out the whole squad part. Really has ruined the game for me. JLC

    JLC, Jan 9, 2005
  13. Mmm... HL2 runs s(t)eamlessly on my 9700 Pro.... maybe you need to close off
    a valve or 2.

    doug.drodskie, Jan 10, 2005
  14. /mel/

    Tsunami Guest

    While strolling carefully through the minefield that is Usenet, on
    Let off a little steam maybe?

    Tsunami, Jan 10, 2005
  15. You've got it. :) This is the electronic age and steam driven devices are
    definitely not wanted.

    doug.drodskie, Jan 11, 2005
  16. /mel/

    Tsunami Guest

    While strolling carefully through the minefield that is Usenet, on
    truly.
    My problem is that, after starting up HL2, it gets to the Loading
    screen, and stops.
    It didn't used to do this, it started after a Steam update. (yes, I am
    running a perfectly legal, bought version of HL2). I have asked the
    Steam support team for help (got a nice automated response reply, and
    nothing since), and now I am stuck with an expensive game that has
    made itself unplayable (built in time limiting, perhaps?).
    Steam blows!

    Tsunami, Jan 12, 2005
  17. /mel/

    Shawk Guest

    Out of sight 'behind' the HL2 loading screen there may be a firewall
    pop-up saying that 'this application has changed - do you still want to
    give it access to the internet' - or words to that effect. That is what
    happened to me. The game had not hung it was just waiting for an action
    from me that I didnt know about...

    Shawk, Jan 21, 2005
  18. /mel/

    Tsunami Guest

    While strolling carefully through the minefield that is Usenet, on
    Nope, I had to install the newest ATI drivers, and now it works just
    fine.

    Tsunami, Jan 21, 2005