    me, though not a very steep hill.

    Thanks,

    Neil

    Neil, Dec 20, 2007

  2. Neil

    DTC Guest

    For those type of deployments, they set it up it work within the
    building. So it will likely get out into the parking lot also.
    That's all the need to care about.

    Will it go farther? Sure. Will it be a reliable link? Most likely
    not. I installed a Linksys WRT54G and it was usable over a thousand
    feet away which surprised me.

    A true case of "You mileage, err...footage may very".

    DTC, Dec 20, 2007

  3. Neil

    Dr Zoidberg Guest

    Doing testing with a couple of Cisco APs and high gain omnidirectional
    aerials we've had them working over several hundred meters , and even
    further with directional ones but that's on open ground. In a built up
    environment it's unusal to get anywhere near that.

    It's possible there was another hot spot not shown on your map

    Dr Zoidberg, Dec 20, 2007
  4. Neil

    Neil Guest

    No, the chances of there being another hotspot are very slim, as there's
    only a few types of business that have T-Mobile (Starbucks, Kinkos, some
    hotels and airports -- that's about it). This wasn't a random hotspot. It
    was a T-Mobile hotspot, and there are only a discreet set of them.

    As for open ground, though, the place where I was down the street (to the
    south) and a little west of where the hotspot was. In between (the northwest
    corner of the intersection where I was at) was open. Thus, between me and
    the hotspot, there were no buildings. I'm sure that was it.

    Neil, Dec 20, 2007
  5. Neil

    CBFalconer Guest

    Neil wrote: *** and top-posted. Fixed ***
    irrelevant material. I fixed this one. See the following links:

    CBFalconer, Dec 21, 2007
  6. Neil

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dr Zoidberg" typed:

    The world record for unamplified WiFi using off-the-shelf Linksys APs and
    very large omnidirectional antennas is, I believe, over 280 kms.
    --
    TTFN,

    Shaun.

    "another academic failure.... trying to prove that your smart"
    'blanking', nz.comp, 20 Dec 2007.

    ~misfit~, Dec 21, 2007
  7. Neil

    BillW50 Guest

    In ~misfit~ typed on Fri, 21 Dec 2007 14:38:41 +1300:
    The record using a home made directional antenna at a hackers convention
    in Las Vegas a couple of years ago was 51 miles. Although I never
    learned if they were on top of a mountain or not. I bet they were.

    BillW50, Dec 21, 2007
  8. details: http://www.wifiworldrecord.com/

    danny burstein, Dec 21, 2007
  9. Neil

    Neil Guest

    I don't understand. What do you mean??....

    Neil, Dec 21, 2007
  10. Neil

    Neil Guest

    That's cool. But I doubt the local kinko's had any sophisticated antennae.
    Still, I think the fact that there were no buildings between us and there
    was a little downhill helped. I think the fact that there was a slight
    breeze from the direction of the Kinko's to where I was helped as well.*

    Neil
    *Before someone jumps in here: yes, that was a joke.

    Neil, Dec 21, 2007
  11. Neil

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "danny burstein" typed:
    That's old hat. It was broken in Venezula the next year. The one you linked
    to was 200km, the Venezuelan record is 279km using just a pair of Linksys
    WRT54G's.

    +Update+

    That was in '06. I've just Googled the guy who did it (Ermanno Pietrosemoli)
    and find that my info is old, his record got broken, so he set a new one in
    June this year. 382km, or 238 miles for you late adopters.
    --
    TTFN,

    Shaun.

    "another academic failure.... trying to prove that your smart"
    'blanking', nz.comp, 20 Dec 2007.

    "your so predictable misfit"
    'blanking', nz.comp, 21 Dec 2007.

    ~misfit~, Dec 21, 2007
  12. Neil

    Brian Cryer Guest

    It is conventional in most newsgroups to post your reply at the bottom of
    the previous, this is called bottom posting. You have been putting your
    reply at the top, which is known as top-posting. Top-posting is the
    convention in emails because if you are replying to an email then the
    recipient should have a grasp on what went before. When posting to
    newsgroups others may not have seen your original post so its useful to have
    the previous text available and visible first.
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

    Sadly, I haven't fixed this one. Its worth having a read of the links that
    CBFalconer provided.

    Brian Cryer, Dec 21, 2007
  13. Neil

    LR Guest

    http://www.eslared.org.ve/articulos/Long Distance WiFi Trial.pdf

    LR, Dec 21, 2007
  14. Neil

    kony Guest

    It is quite possible one of these other businesses had put a
    repeater on their roof so they could enjoy using their
    account inside without having to pay for on-site service.

    The only way you could more reliably know for certain is to
    take a wifi locator, signal strength meter back down there
    and canvas the area looking for more spots not on maps.

    It is certainly possible for signals to go 800 feet outside,
    line of sight, but more surprising if you're inside the
    sandwich shop, even moreso to maintain connection with a
    laptop and do that in a shop where there might be a kitchen
    with microwaves.

    kony, Dec 22, 2007
  15. Neil

    Bill Kearney Guest

    And it's entirely predictable that some wanker will whinge about it.

    Bill Kearney, Dec 22, 2007
  16. Neil

    Bill Kearney Guest

    And how do you know that for sure? It's not all that hard to spoof a
    hotspot. Use the same SSID, capture the HTTP traffic and fake the login
    handling. Then use the stolen information to hack the real service.

    Bill Kearney, Dec 22, 2007
  17. Neil

    BillW50 Guest

    In Bill Kearney typed on Sat, 22 Dec 2007 09:28:15 -0500:
    You sound like you have lots of experience doing this Bill. And what
    reason would that be for?

    BillW50, Dec 22, 2007
  18. Neil

    BillW50 Guest

    BillW50, Dec 22, 2007
  19. Neil

    curly Bill Guest

    So, Neil
    I think you were very successful getting responses for a stupid
    question, and stretching it out by your responses.

    For a troll you did very well.

    I take it you don't have any friends to hang out with during winter
    break from school.

    curly Bill, Dec 22, 2007
  20. Neil

    DTC Guest

    That's certainly a valid question for an inquiring mind.

    curly Bill responded with
    And *I* think that you take perfectly valid questions to be trolling.

    DTC, Dec 22, 2007