    'blanking', nz.comp, 20 Dec 2007.

    "your so predictable misfit"
    'blanking', nz.comp, 21 Dec 2007.

    ~misfit~, Dec 22, 2007

  2. Neil

    BillW50 Guest

    In ~misfit~ typed on Sun, 23 Dec 2007 12:47:06 +1300:
    Thanks Shaun!

    BillW50, Dec 23, 2007

  3. Neil

    DTC Guest

    Considering the time you spend building your own antenna with
    unknown performance (not everyone has a 3 Gig SWR meter laying
    around), you're better off buying a much better antenna.

    15 dBi backfire antennas for $30 or 19 dBi "BBQ" grid for $40.

    DTC, Dec 23, 2007
  4. Neil

    kony Guest

    It would be nice to have a link to these.
    Also, availability or price could vary per region, Shaun for
    example is in New Zealand.

    kony, Dec 23, 2007
  5. Neil

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "kony" typed:
    Some people have more time than money. There's also the satisfation of doing
    it yourself instead of just throwing money at it.
    Exactly. Even though we're just a few hours by 'plane from LA we only seem
    to get <35% of the stuff that folks in the US have available to them
    imported here.
    --
    TTFN,

    Shaun.

    "your a moron"
    "Neoren", alt.drugs.hard. 20 Oct 2007

    "another academic failure.... trying to prove that your smart"
    'blanking', nz.comp, 20 Dec 2007.

    "your so predictable misfit"
    'blanking', nz.comp, 21 Dec 2007.

    ~misfit~, Dec 23, 2007
  6. Neil

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "BillW50" typed:
    You're welcome. Good luck. :)

    ~misfit~, Dec 23, 2007
  7. Neil

    DTC Guest

    DTC, Dec 24, 2007
  8. Neil

    DTC Guest

    Considering the time you spend building your own antenna with
    Granted, but without being able to definitely measure your
    antenna's performance; its going to be a lot of trial and error.

    DTC, Dec 24, 2007
  9. Neil

    Kim Clay Guest

    <http://www.fab-corp.com/home.php?cat=251>
    14 dBi Backfire ---------- $38.65
    15 dBi Parabolic Grid - $34.50
    19 dBi Parabolic Grid - $39.00
    24 dBi Parabolic Grid - $52.50
    <http://www.fab-corp.com/pages.php?pageid=3>
    Our Shipping Q&A
    Q: Where will you ship to?

    A: We will ship anywhere we can legally ship to. Currently we can not
    ship to Cuba, Iran, Syria, Sudan, Libya, and North Korea.

    & for those wanting to build something:
    <http://www.fab-corp.com/product.php?productid=1549&cat=264&page=1>
    Build Your Own Cantenna Kit! - $12.95
    Includes:
    * 1 N Female Chassis Mount Connector
    * 1 Pigtail of your choice below to connect to the N-Female
    Chassis Mount.

    Read their Shipping Q&A esp. concerning the Parabolic Grids.
    <http://www.fab-corp.com/pages.php?pageid=3>

    I've never used their services (yet).
    Just posting links.

    kc

    Kim Clay, Dec 24, 2007
  10. Neil

    kony Guest

    A lot of wifi gear does have signal strength reporting
    functionality. While it's not perfect, it's a good start.
    Plus, in the end it is a matter of whether it suits the
    need. If one needs 2 miles only then whether it couldn't
    link at 20 miles versus a professional solution that could,
    isn't necessarily important.

    Just the other day I drive past an old satellite dish
    someone was throwing away. I came quite close to chucking
    the thing in my truck and rigging it with a router (acting
    in access point mode) to see what kind of signals I'd pick
    up. But alas, it's winter and too cold and icy to be up on
    the roof and I'm the kind of person who needs to follow
    through on a project fairly soon, if I had to wait a long
    time it gets shelved and just clutters up the basement. I
    HAVE to clean out my basement soon, LOL.

    kony, Dec 24, 2007
  11. Neil

    kony Guest

    kony, Dec 24, 2007
  12. Neil

    kony Guest

    Wow, those are extremely good prices.

    N connectors I have, leftovers from a past era of 900MHz
    jobs, but life being ironic as it is, most of my modern wifi
    gear uses R-SMA instead. I could just modify it so the
    equipment had N connectors and probably will, but didn't
    have a compelling reason to yet.

    I'm wondering what the BBQ shipping rates are because the
    sans-shipping price is almost too good to be true.

    kony, Dec 24, 2007
  13. Neil

    DTC Guest

    Unless the chip set actually has a signal level output, its
    usually going to only show you the signal to noise ratio,
    which is good enough if you test it where you know there
    isn't any interference.
    I keep a notepad in the truck with addresses where I see the
    old abandoned eight foot dishes, anticipating they would be cool
    to play around with. I figure a simple A-frame gin pole on the
    back of my truck could take them down in short time. An 802.11b
    moon bounce would be pretty neat (after tweeking for the latency
    delays).
    http://www.gensteel.com

    DTC, Dec 24, 2007
  14. Neil

    Peter Pan Guest

    I used to have that problem, then I sold the house and moved :)

    Peter Pan, Dec 24, 2007
  15. Neil

    kony Guest

    Sometimes the solution can be good enough in the only way
    that matters, whether you can get sufficient strength from
    point A to point B where you need to use it. There may not
    be a need to find what is *best*, nor even have any accuracy
    at all in measuring it, it is a means towards an end. It
    just has to work.

    Already have a shed, dont' want to drag everything back and
    forth as workshop is in the basement. Can't attach anything
    to the house.

    kony, Dec 24, 2007
  16. Much of the 802.11 gear I've worked with has a field named RSSI
    somewhere in the diagnostic info that can be printed by the software
    that comes with it. RSSI means Received Signal Strength Indicator
    anywhere I've encountered it. So that's a measurement (in possibly
    arbitrary units) of signal strength, not simply signal to noise.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Dec 27, 2007
  17. Neil

    BillW50 Guest

    In Dave Martindale typed on Thu, 27 Dec 2007 00:05:16 +0000 (UTC):
    I have two drivers for my US Robotics WiFi. The later version has
    readings for both signal strength and signal to noise ratios.

    BillW50, Dec 27, 2007
  18. Neil

    Neil Guest

    It was a Subway sandwich shop, so I don't think they had any microwaves
    going. And I was (accidentally) sitting right by the window that was closest
    to where that hot spot would have been. So it was almost like I was
    outside -- the laptop was right next to the window.

    Also, as noted, I only had one bar out of five. Still, I was able to surf
    without any problems.

    Neil, Jan 10, 2008
  19. Neil

    Neil Guest

    Are you talking about yourself here? Because, obviously, if you had friends,
    you'd be enjoying time with them, rather than wasting time in a thread that
    you feel is "stupid." I'm just sayin'..

    Neil, Jan 10, 2008