    laptops--- is the game "stretched", or does it just occupy part of the
    screen, or what? Any other thoughts on widescreen versus the more
    classic sized screen that I am used to?

    Beowulf, Aug 19, 2006

  2. Beowulf

    MegaMad Guest

    I play WoW on 1280x800.. I can post a screen shot somewhere if you like
    It's a ATI mobile x700 and it's works...

    Some games don't understand non standard screen sizes, but most do!
    A few currently on my laptop:

    WoW
    GTA SA
    TR Legend
    ShipSim 2006
    ORF SkiChallenge 2006

    All widescreen out of the box!

    So: happy gaming!

    Leo - MegaMad

    Emerald Dream - Divine Gladiators

    MegaMad, Aug 19, 2006

  3. Beowulf

    Barrabas Guest

    I don't like stretching whatsoever.
    I had a lot of trouble choosing a laptop for this very reason.
    Eventually I gave up and decided to buy a 4:3 monitor at the same time.
    But the ATI X1600 has the option for maintaining aspect ratio, where you
    get the black pillars.
    The only thing I accept stretching for is the display on Media Player or the
    Desktop.
    Without this option I don't know what I would do.
    The games I have used really aren't interchangeable across screen widths.
    Quake 4 is the only one I'm sure where you have a choice. It appears that
    they use squeezing, like with anamorphic movies.
    Certainly nothing with Quake 3, which I always have to view pillarboxed.
    I have been using older games, such as Doomsday and Seven Kingdoms.

    Games will stretch unless you have a 'maintain aspect ratio' setting in your
    graphics driver or the
    game itself has some kind of setting. I get the impression there is little
    concern from them.
    You could perhaps search out the widescreengaming forum site.
    My impression is that NVidia are more likely to have the 'maintain aspect
    ratio' option
    than ATI.

    Barrabas, Aug 20, 2006
  4. Beowulf

    Victor Guest

    More important than widescreen is graphics.Most newer games support
    wide.Make sure you get a laptop with a dedicated graphics card with
    it's own memory not shared memory.At least a mobility radeon
    x1400.Better is a Geforce go 7600 or a Radeon x1600.Best is a Geforce
    go 7900gs or 7900gtx.Gtx is top of the line.You can pick up a Dell
    E1705 with a 7900gs for less than $1500.Or if you like HP Laptops the
    nx9420 is only $1249 with a Radeon x1600 but it needs more ram for
    gaming but ram is cheap.
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/e...-89315-321838-f1-1839153-1839212-1839780.html

    Victor, Aug 22, 2006
  5. Beowulf

    Barrabas Guest

    There is something new called hypermemory.
    There is meant to be dedicated video memory, but it also shares.
    Mine is meant to have 128mb dedicated, but it can go to 512mb,
    this is sort of to simulate a top end graphics card at a lower price.
    X1600.

    Barrabas, Aug 22, 2006
  6. Beowulf

    Barrabas Guest

    The 'just occupy part of the screen' is another option on my card.
    I found it on all laptops I looked at, not a good option to have.
    1680x1050 native resolution, 1024x768 is a small square.

    Barrabas, Aug 22, 2006