    is rock solid finally - even after the lan fails...

    thanks,
    thomas

    thomas, Jul 21, 2003

  2. thomas

    Shep© Guest

    One cup of coffee a day using an electric kettle will use way more
    than the difference between your old and new PS.
    PS
    Only putting just a little more water in the kettle than you need to
    make cup/s of coffee/tea will save you even more ;-)
    PPS
    Putting that same amount of water again in the kettle just after you
    have made a cup of coffee/tea and using the kettle again with 15 mins
    will save you even more as the heat contained in the kettle
    will,"Pre-heat" the water for the next cup.
    PPPS
    Switching the TV off when you go for a Cr** and back on again will
    save you even more ;-)

    Shep©, Jul 22, 2003

  3. thomas

    Mr. Slow Guest

    Uh? Don't you watch the TV when you are having a Cr** then, Shep?

    Mr. Slow, Jul 22, 2003
  4. Assuming that both PSU's are equally efficient, the power
    consumption will be exactly the same. It is possible that
    the newer, bigger, better unit will be slightly more
    efficient and will consume less power. Either way, the
    difference will be much too small to worry about.

    E.S.

    Eamon Skelton, Jul 22, 2003
  5. thomas

    Shep© Guest

    Heh.Heh :O
    Not if it's CCTV :O

    Shep©, Jul 22, 2003
  6. thomas

    Ian Stirling Guest

    Or not.
    Say 50W difference for a 24*7 server.
    That's around 1.2Kwh/day.
    Boiling 1 cup of water will use around 55Wh.
    You can make around 44 cups of coffee with the saved electricity.

    Electricity is quite expensive in some places.
    While you can get power supplies for $9(us), which will work fine, a
    saving of 50W/24*7 would save me around $62(us)
    If a power supply lasts 3 years in a server, then it might be worth
    considering power supplies up to over a hundred (us) dollars, if they
    may save electricity.
    You can boil an extra 22 liters (5 gallons) with the saved electricity.
    TVs generally use around 60W, to save as much you'd need to be on the
    pot for 20 hours a day.

    Ian Stirling, Sep 12, 2003
  7. thomas

    JT Guest

    The point is that unless the quality of the 400w power supply is bad, it is
    unlikely to pull 50w more power than a 300w power supply in the same
    system. It could even be less if the 300w is close to maximum load, as the
    effeciency of some power supplies drops off markedly as you approach their
    limits. Most likely, there will be very little difference in the power each
    will consume. Only measurements can tell.

    Point is that the wattage rating of a power supply is the maximum it can
    supply, not what it will draw all the time. Effeciency is seldom listed for
    computer power supplies.

    JT, Sep 12, 2003
  8. thomas

    Ian Stirling Guest

    Sorry, I should have been more explicit.
    Preliminary measurements seem to indicate my 250W cheapo-power supply
    has an efficiency of around 50-70%.

    Saving 50W with a more efficient power supply, which might have a bigger
    rating, would be quite possible.
    Which is annoying.

    Ian Stirling, Sep 12, 2003
  9. thomas

    Smoker Guest

    If your hardware requires 200W of power, why would it need more if you add a
    higher watt/more efficient PSU?

    Pratchett-Jingo

    Smoker, Sep 13, 2003